rooster attack...continued (pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bobzant, Mar 17, 2013.

1. bobzant

bobzant Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    i posted yesterday about my roo that got attacked by 3 others. this is his head today. and believe me, its not near like it was yesterday. hes completely blind in one eye now, and he does have the other about half open and can see out of it. ive been having problems getting him to eat or drink, idk if its because of how swollen he is or what. im afraid to tube him, but im also afraid hes getting dehydrated. he has neosporin on his head. but there are a couple places on his head i am worried about with the way they look. i got antobiotics for him, but he wont drink enough for it to do any good. any ideas on what else do do for him are much appriciated. hes such a sweetheart. i really dont want to lose my dear Alvin.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow, keep trying to keep him hydrated, that's probably his only hope.

3. bobzant

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    Hes actually quite peppy. He walks and talks, preens and climbs up on the side of his tote. Im just afraid his throat is swollen because it seems like he chokes on water.

4. bobzant

Jul 6, 2011
    Perry, IL
    Im in big need of help or support or something. Rhis happened the 16th and he will drink but hes only eaten a few mouthfuls of food. I can see that hes starving by the color of his poop. I dont have the supplies to tube him or the money to get the supplies. Im at a loss as to what to do. I cant lose him. Hes fought too hard!

5. bribre

bribre Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Alberta Canada
    Omg that's so sad... :( I really hope someone will give you some advice.

6. tankerman

tankerman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2012
    Sonoma county
    My Coop
    If you're able to save him, what then?

Won't it just happen again if you put him back in the yard with the other roosters?

How many hens per rooster? Enough for everybody to be content?

7. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    It would ( in my opinion ) to be a sensible idea to attempt to help the thread starter with encouragement to aid the Rooster...where there is life there is hope.... and the thread starter cares very much for the health of the Roo....

A constructive approach would be helpful.... ideas anyone?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by