Rooster Attack!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by racuda, Apr 5, 2009.

1. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Last week our rooster attacked my wife. He is an Oriental Game and had never show any signs of aggression. She opened the run so he could get out for a while and when she turned her back he hit from behind, spurring her multiple times. She ran to get away from him and fell down. The rooster got on top of her and resumed the attack.

I was on the phone with her at the time. I could hear her screaming. She dropped the phone, but I could still hear everything. I could hear her calling for Bay, our Lab/Chow mix to "get him", then...silence. I was 30 miles away, and felt so helpless. After an eternity (probably 5 minutes), she came back on the phone. She had gone inside the house when the dog ran off the rooster, and came back out with a broom to retrieve the phone.

Meanwhile I made a call and by the time we got back from the emergency clinic that night, the rooster was gone.

2. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    I really hope you wife is okay! I had a rooster like that once. He only attacked if you turned your back on him. I'm glad he is gone.

3. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I realized, that once they are mean, the aggression doesn't really go away. People will say other wise but I think the only sure way to stop it is giving it away or processing it.
    Good luck with whatever you do. I hope your wife is alright!

4. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    What do you mean gone? Like left or eaten by dog?

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    What a scary thing to happen to your poor wife! I hope she's okay. Good thing Bay was there to chase him off. I'm glad you "made a call" and that the mean roo is no longer a threat to your family.

6. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    he needs a to be a featherduster for a couple minutes and i bet he wouldn't do it again! [​IMG]

7. plumberroy

plumberroy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    I know what I would do [​IMG]
    chicken soup anyone roosters are to easy to come by to put up with that stuff
    Roy

8. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Sorry to hear about your wife, but good for you guys for getting rid of him right away.

9. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    hope she is ok

10. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thanks for your well wishes. My wife's knee was badly bruised from the fall, at least not broken like the first doctor thought. The puncture wounds from the spurs were surrounded by golf ball size bruises, but they are fading now.

The call I made was to the man I bought the rooster from. He was happy to buy him back. A few days later I asked him how the rooster was. He said that he had attacked HIM and almost knocked him down. He said he is going to keep him. I think he has respect for the beast.

I told the people at work about what happened. Now there is a rumor about my killer cock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by