Rooster attack

Falstaff

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Coarsegold
We receive a Rooter about 15 -18 weeks old from a friend after he settled in he started to attack my wife and I . The chickens free range all day. It does not mater where we are at he will attack. Especially when we walk away from the flock. You really have to keep an eye on him and carry a stick to keep him off. We are new to chickens will he grow out of this or is this going to continue to get worse.

Thanks for the Info.

He is challenging you. The roo has to see you as the boss.Sometimes when a roo needs to have a pecking order established, and does not see the owner as the "head roo", a little attitude adjustment helps. Mine got agressive with me twice. Both were times I was bringing food out. Both times he pecked me, and hard enough to draw blood. As soon as he did, I gave him a swift kick. Then, chased him. I also do not allow any aggressive behavior around me. If he walks aggessively toward me, I run right at him. Now when I go out, I have no problem with him.

However, if you are already doing that, and his behavior is not changing, I woud not keep him. A roo is not that big, but he could really hurt you or your wife.

Unless he learns to respect you and your wife, he will continue to attack. If you want to keep him, try some attitude adjustment. If you have children or grandchildren, get rid of him. Rooster's spurs and toenails can cause serious damage to adults and especially to children. As they become more brazen, they tend to go for the face. There are lots of roosters available. No need to keep a bad one.
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
My rooster went through a bad spell, he would come after me when i went in the coop. I sent my husband in and he came after him...he had a talk with my husbands foot and is so much better. I do not trust him though. The kids know not to get to close or to bend down near him. I make it a point of feeding the girls first, then him, when feeding treats.

I do wear big ole rain boots (looks goo dwith the shorts, lol!) when i need to go in the coop, not taking chances. If he starts up again i will rehome him. No need for a mean rooster!

lol step away from the axe
hide.gif
j/k go for it
tongue.png
i had to rehome mine because of this because my mom said our chickens are pets (even though she hates them and wants nothing to do with them) and we will not be responsible for killing them im like you know if we give a big rooster like him away whoever gets him will just butcher and we will go to walmart and get a chicken? she said she didnt care as long as we werent responsible and i luaghed(on the brightside we payed $2 each for them took them to same auction house and got $5 each)

edited to say my chickens are pets but there is no way to tell if you rehome if the person will butcher it or not so i would rather do it myself + i have yet to taste fresh free ranged chicken and imagine it to be the greatest thing on earth

Last edited:
That roo will do nothing but become more and more aggressive. If you don't break his feathered butt on that first or second attack, he has no respect for you and will jump you, your wife or even worse a small child, at every given chance. I am not a fan of rehoming an aggressive roo due to the fact that it could hurt someone in his new home. My humble opinion....its time to move him to the freezer.

Good luck!

A good long soak in simmering broth will make even the meanest rooster turn out nice. I agree with Sourland & 33yardbirds, there are too many other roosters available, many of them with real nice manners. If you'd rather not dispatch him yourself you could give away, maybe sell him, to someone who would like him for a dinner guest. There are worse things that could happen to a rooster than to provide nourishment to a grateful human family.

Back
Top Bottom