Rooster attack.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brok3n, Aug 7, 2013.

1. brok3n

brok3n Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2013
    West Virginia
    My rooster attacked one of my girls and drew blood. Now the other chickens are pecking her and pulling at her skin. It's right at her ear.

Tomorrow will be the roosters final day. He is way to aggresive with the girls and try's to with me.

Will they kill the chicken? I couldn't get her tonight or would have separated her

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chickens will, on occasion, kill another chicken by basically making them bleed to death. They pick at red, and will just keep pecking at a bleeding wound. I really can't say for sure what will happen to yours tonight. If she survives the night, put some BlueKote on the wounds, or isolate her away from the others. If possible, let one gentler chicken stay with her in isolation so that she doesn't get lonely.

I'm hoping for the best for your hen! [​IMG]

3. brok3n

May 28, 2013
    West Virginia
    Yeah I tried to catch her tonight but couldn't. Will get her in the morning and get bluekote on her. Have heard mustard will work temporarily?!?

4. brok3n

May 28, 2013
    West Virginia
    Well I went out and got her out of coop and locked her in a steel pet cage inside the run. Poor chickie

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I haven't heard of using mustard, but I suppose you could try it. The idea is to disguise the red wound, so anything colorful would work. It might be a good idea to put some antibiotic ointment (but make sure it doesn't contain a "caine" ingredient, as that isn't good for chickens) on the wound, too

6. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    My chooks love mustard... Just saying.... They might like the flavor. In the wild, the plants in the mustard family are naturally eaten by everything from birds to ruminants to de-worm themselves.

Agree about getting rid of the rooster. I don't tolerate any chicken making life a misery for the other chooks or me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by