Rooster attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jacqdiva, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    HELP
    There was a gang up on one cockerel in my rooster pen. They were stomping on him. Now he can't walk. I have him in a box with bedding to prop him up. He has water and food at head height. He seems happy to eat and drink. He even had some greens and grass seed when I offered him. Seems interested in his food. He has always been a tame boy and easy to get along with. What else can I do?

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

It sounds as if you have done everything that can be done.

Hopefully he will pep right back up, after he gets over the soreness and bruising that I am sure he has.

3. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Sadly I think he has a broken bone up near his hip. Thanks for answering. I will wait a day or so before we decide his fate. Sad!

4. Alaskan

arg!

That is very sad!

I had two separate broken bones this past year....

In the first case, the rooster was clearly in pain, we we went ahead and put him down.

In the second case, it really didn't look like it bothered him much. He learned how to hop around on only one leg, using the bad leg for only a bit of balance. We kept him for several more months, and he acted comfortable, and no problems in a flock setting. When he grew large enough, since he was an extra rooster, we did eat him.

Anyway, [​IMG] I do truly hate stuff like that... things that linger. I always hope that everything will resolve quickly, one way or the other.

5. Jacqdiva

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Thanks for your reply. He was a beautiful boy and very tame. [​IMG]
    We were very sad to put him down. Although he was eating and drinking he didn't get up again. He was also so soiled from sitting, even though I changed his bedding in his box. We would wash him, but that was painful for him. Rip my little/big buddy Fancy Boy. His beautiful days of being my handsome boy are over. He is now at peace. [​IMG]

6. Alaskan

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by