Rooster attacked baby, drew blood!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rhinoman, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Rhinoman

Rhinoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Southwestern NH
    Our [hatchery] Black Jersey Giant Rooster attacked my 18 month old son. My son was just sitting in his walker outside near the coop. My eight year old daughter was watching him, I was cutting wood in the garage. My daughter was too scared to do anything.
    [​IMG].
    The scratches under his nose and the one over and below his left eye are from the rooster*.
    The Rooster was only five months old and didn't have spurs yet (thank goodness). The Rooster didn't survive the ordeal.

*Click the picture to make it larger and you can really see how badly he's scratched up.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    I am so sorry that this happened to your son! What a dolly he is. I'm so glad that he just came out with some scratches, it could have been so much worse. How is your daughter doing? She must be traumatized. Hug your babies for me.

3. Rhinoman

Rhinoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2013
    Southwestern NH
    There's six of them, he's the youngest. Others are 3, 5, 7, 8, and 14. They cheered when my oldest (14) killed the rooster, they'd reported he was becoming aggressive but I'd never witnessed it. It was the fourteen year olds rooster so the duty fell upon him.

Update: my wife just gave the baby a bath and found a few more scratches on him

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Thank God nothing worse than this happened to your son.

There is another rooster on this site that is bound to cause this same scenario. I only hope the owner sees this post and takes the appropriate action.

(Again I apologize if my post causes any problems.)

5. scrambled freud

scrambled freud Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2013
    Lebanon Ohio
    I am most impressed with the 14 year old young man you have raised! A man's man in this "chickified" world is a rarity these days.
    Not often do I see a young man stand up and do the right thing, even when it may hurt himself (it was his rooster, after all). He truly put his little brother before his own feelings. Bravo for him and to you for raising such a selfless young man.

6. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    I applaud your 14 year old (and the parents) for handeling the rooster. The baby is such a cutie. Don't allow this to cause a fear of chickens in him

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I hope your little boy gets a nice little drum stick out of the deal ;)

8. TaylorChicks

TaylorChicks Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2013
    Oh so scary! Sorry this happened to your little guy!
    We just had to butcher our 5 month old Roo because he was being aggressive toward our boys. We have a two year old and we were worried about the roo attacking him. He tried attacking our older boys but they could fend him off. When it happened the boys decided they wanted to get rid of him! It was a good decision. Now they can enjoy taking care of their chickens again and the hens are much happier too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by