Rooster Attacked by Coyote! Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by amiep14, Mar 19, 2012.

1. amiep14

amiep14 New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    This is my Rooster, he's a great bird. The other night the coop was attacked by some coyotes. We [​IMG]
    found him on the ground, I thought for sure he was dead, but he was still alive! Now the poor guy is like this all the time. I have been giving him water/pedialyte and keeping him seperated from the rest of the hens, but I want to know if I keep this up will he survive? I don't want him to suffer. He had no wounds, just lost alot of feathers around his neck. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Is he eating ? Are you sure he doesn't have any wounds on his neck? Maybe he has like a sprain or something. I would say if he's eating give him some time. Maybe a little neck massage would help.

3. amiep14

amiep14 New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    He will eat some, I have given him some broken up bread and some soft feed but he really goes to town on the water and pedialyte mix, anything else I should do for him? I have looked all over and I see no wounds. He can turn his head side to side but can't lift it up.

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Poor baby! I don't know how long they can be in shock for..... Perhaps a soft tissue neck injury?
    I would let him eat and drink as much as possible to get him stronger, maybe wait a few days and see how he is.
    I'm sorry I can't help.

5. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    I wonder if his neck is kind of out of joint. I wasn't kidding about the neck massage. Maybe it would help. I say if he's still eating give him some time.

6. StevieNay

StevieNay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    Poor guy! Can you tell if there's swelling around the neck? He could have an injury to vertebrae and/or soft tissues.

Does anyone know what is safe for chickens to help with swelling? An anti-inflammatory? Maybe he just needs time to recuperate. I hope he gets better!

7. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    sounds like broken or torn tendons in his neck to fix he will need some sort of neck brace until it heals

8. amiep14

amiep14 New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    There is a large bump on the right side of his neck, no puncture wounds though. mohillbilly how would I make a neck brace for him? I think at this point he would let me put it on! He's just been standing all day in one spot. If he was paralyzed or anything would he be able to stand? Anything I can do for pain? to help him relax?

9. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    sorry i cant help on making the brace as I would just put him down and then hunt coyote

10. amiep14

amiep14 New Egg

Mar 18, 2012
    I'm thinking that's what we are going to end up doing. I hate seeing him just standing there suffering. We are going to catch the coyotes, cause there out around our house during the middle of the day. It's been a warm winter so they're pretty hungry. Thanks for all your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by