Rooster attacked by coyote

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Annie440, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Annie440

Annie440 New Egg

Oct 29, 2014
    There have been some coyote's around our neighborhood lately, and as you can imagine our chickens have been on their menu. A few days ago our chickens started getting eaten, we thought our rooster was one of them because we we kept seeing a lot of feathers that looked like his in the trees behind our coop, but today we found our rooster again. He's not very old, we just got him this spring. When we found him his back feathers were really ruffled and he was limping. What can I do to help him heal?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Look him over his entire body to make sure there are no punctures or lacerations. Start putting vitamin-electrolyte and probiotic powder in the waterers. Encourage the bird to eat and drink. Make sure he is eating and drinking. Moisten feed if you have to. Most of all don't free range them, unless you can supervise the whole time, and make sure their yard and coop is secure. Start trapping and shooting the coyotes within bounds of the law. Cage traps work well with a coyote lure and canned meat or raw meat. Little Giant makes cages that are affordable and large enough: http://www.miller-mfg.com/product/LT5.html

These are lures I use: http://www.markjuneslures.com/songdog-supreme-lure.html

3. Annie440

Annie440 New Egg

Oct 29, 2014
    Thank you for the help, I'll make sure to check him as soon as possible. What should I do if he does have punctures or cuts though? we don't have any vets around that do chickens.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you find wounds flush them thoroughly to help clean them out. If you have Betadine or hydrogen peroxide you can use that. If you use peroxide only use it the one time though because it can hinder healing if used over and over. If you don't have those things you can also use plain water or saline. Then apply some Neosporin. Blu Kote is a good treatment and helps "hide" wounds from the other birds as well to help deter picking. Keep him in a warm, quiet place for a day or so so he can recuperate and so you can observe that he is eating/drinking enough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by