1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster attacked by dogs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickiebabies, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Chickiebabies

Chickiebabies New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    Hi,

I currently have 8 chickens and one rooster, I love my chickens as my pets. The other day I was watching TV and I heard a knock on the door. Well one of my neighhors came walking up with something in his hands. At first i thought it was my Reba but then i realized he had a gorgeous red, green and black rooster. He told me that he let his dogs out to play and they go to the rooster and he wasn't sure if he was going to make it. I automatically took the rooster inside the house and set him up in a large box with hay, food and water. At first he wouldn't do anything but just lay there. The next morning when i went to check him he was moved to the opposite side of the box so i brought him outside to the coop while the other chickens were away. He was very clumsy and falling everywhere but when he tried to fly he was not getting anywhere. He tried to jump into the coop and he fell and just laid there. Is this normal? Does anyone know what i should do in this situation? He is gorgeous and i would love to add him to the family but im so worried that he may not be ok. I'm not sure if it is a wing thing or if it is a foot thing. Any advice would be wonderful, Please help :(

Thank you

2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    First, is this your rooster? I'm a little confused. He needs to be kept in a dark area where he can recover and given fresh food and water. Did you notice any wounds? If so, they need to be cleaned and treated. If he isn't your rooster, he needs to be quarantined away from your other birds for at least 30 days. This is a good practice even if the rooster wasn't already hurt.

If you have some electrolytes or vitamins to put into his water, that would also be good. He needs time to heal and recover from shock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by