ROOSTER ATTACKED BY FOX

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dona Worry, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    I happened to look out my bedroom window just in time to see Nardole CHARGING at a juvenile fox!
    By the time I ran outside fox had Nardole well and truly in his jaws, but my brave little basset hound managed to get ahold of the fox, and then chased him to god knows where, baying the whole time.
    Nardole looks ok, I guess. His eyelid looks injured, but the eye itself is ok I think. Only one small scratch near his mouth. I dabbed the scratch clean with peroxide and the eye with boiled and cooled water (I keep a kettle on my stove) and applied neosporin to both. He seems extremely subdued, and I wanted to isolate him overnight, but he panicked so much when I put him in the dog crate I let him out for fear he'd injure himself. He fluttered up to his normal roost.
    20180719_205653.jpg 20180719_205734.jpg
    I WAS more worried about hawk, but I think fox-proofing my run just jumped higher up on the priority list.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Literally the same situation happens today.My hen was attacked an dmanage to break free and managed to find her way home.Washed out the wound and put peroxide on,this isn’t my first attack,I have had about three hens get attacked and survive,and that’s just foxes,what you did should definitely heal him.Chickens are their own medicine,sometimes I won’t even do the little bit that I’d do,other then monitor daily to make sure she doesn’t get fly striked or overly dirty wounds.

3. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    I don't know if Nardole is out of the woods or not. He is up, walking around, but is definitely sore, seems to struggle to move his head and neck, and has no appetite. I was able to get a small amount of plain yogurt and water into him, but he has no interest in food. 20180720_065429.jpg

4. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Monitor his wounds for infection, and give him a bit of time. It looks like his lower beak was cracked, so it may be very sore and make it hard for him to eat for a while. I'm sure he's very sore all over. I'd give him another thorough going over to make sure that there are no wounds missed on the initial exam. Try making a mash of their regular feed by mixing with water as that may be easier for him to eat, most birds like it that way anyway. You can also give him a bit of scrambled egg to tempt him. If you have some nutri-drench I'd give him some of that daily for a few days. Make sure he's drinking, and staying hydrated.

5. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Awe poor guy. Did you check for puncture wounds?
    Yay for your fierce Bassett hound!

6. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    Good ideas, thanks. I tried again to put him in the crate, but even in the coop he still panicked and thrashed so much I just couldn't do it. I think it is better for him to be calm with his girls.
    He is keeping his mouth ever so slightly open, but did drink in his own, finally. I'll make a yummy mash for them now.

7. coach723

coach723 Crowing

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Isolating a bird is always a judgement call on a case by case basis. If he's not at risk with the flock and he's calmer there, then that is where I'd leave him. If things change you can always reassess. Hope he recovers!

8. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    Nardole seems to be declining. I thought he was eating, but when I lifted him to check his wounds, they look worse and his crop feels slack. What do I do?!
    This picture is AFTER I cleaned it and applied more neosporin. I am no longer sure his eye is ok--there seems to be a lot of gunk.
    ETA: I can't upload the photo right now, I'll try again later.

9. Dona Worry

Dona Worry Crowing

Jul 5, 2018
    Vermont
    I found some save-a-chick, and fed him some of that via syringe, them made a slurry out of his food, a bit of yogurt, and a crushed vitamin B pill.
    He looks really rough.
    20180721_202710.jpg
    He got about 30 ccs total. About 10 of save a chick, the rest food.

10. Soon2BChixMom

Soon2BChixMom Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens

Jan 8, 2017
    Poor guy. I wonder if he has internal injuries? Are the wounds infected?

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: