Rooster attacked by his on offspring

Advar85

Chirping
Mar 30, 2020
My rooster was attacked by his own offspring. I am not assuming I actually saw it on my cameras. The two young roosters ganged up on him, surrounding him and attacking from all directions he didn’t have a chance😭. He is alive his injuries were mostly on their comb, my concern is that he doesn’t stand up, not even the head. I placed him in a cage away from the flock, I’m just so sad about him, please any advice will help. Thank you

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Sorry the boys tag teamed their dad. It happens when they've decided they want to take the flock.
Can you post pictures of dad? Have you thoroughly cleaned up and disinfected all his injuries? I would put him in a warm quiet location in the house if you can.
Give him some electrolytes in his water and make a mash of his feed and put some poultry vitamins in the mash. Offer him some tuna or sardines to try to get him eating. He is in shock.
Keep him inside until he has fully recovered.
As for the boys... you need to chose what male you want to keep and rehome the others. The father is the leader the flock is used to. I rehome the sons well before it gets to the point of bloodshed.
I had a young unrelated rooster attack the senior rooster and bloody him up once. The senior rooster still won that fight but they wouldn't stop fighting. It's very common for a submissive male to want to take the flock from the dominant and sometimes neither will back down until one of them is seriously injured or dead. In your case, the senior was out numbered.

CoconutCoffee

Songster
Oct 27, 2021
Eastern NC
When my rooster's boy matured he eventually beat his dad to take the flock. No serious injuries, it was just sad watching him walking around all by himself. They're both good roosters so I kept the son but had to build another coop/run and get more hens.

Advar85

Chirping
Mar 30, 2020
Thank you I will post them, he’s still sad and not moving, I’m at work, so tempted to call in for him, however I’m a teacher lol no subs available,

Top Bottom