rooster attacked duck

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mickeymousears, Aug 20, 2011.

1. mickeymousears

mickeymousears Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Perhaps you've seen my other posts about this rooster: he's almost 5 months old -light brahma. I've had them all since they were 3 days old so they follow me around call at the door for me etc. AnYways our nightly routine is I go out to get their food bowl bring it in the house to fill it while the entire flock (3 chickens 2 ducks) follow me get under my feet and trip me-its the most exciting time of the day. Well tonight the rooster started attacking my female rouen duck -unprovoked from what I saw. I yelled and clapped my Hands he stopped then as I was taking the food to the pin he did it again. So I chased him around for prob 30 min -hes lucky I'm pregnant and couldn't catch him. I let everyone else in the pin - they ate and went to bed. I locked him out and chased him til the sun went down-hes to smart to back into a corner where I could catch him. I finally let him in the pin and he had to find his bed in the dark. SO my questions are: was this an appropriate response from me? All the suggestions say to catch and hold aggressive roosters-but I couldn't get close enough to grab him so what do I do? Towards the end he was making the most pathetic whine for the girls and trying to claw his way in the back side of the pin -did he learn his lesson?

I've never seen him act aggressively towards anyone except the crows that come in the yard. And generally the ducks bully him. But he's becoming a big boy- so maybe this is a new habit??

2. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    He may have been trying to breed her.I doubt he connected the duck and being chased around.Where the chickens and duck raised togethor?

3. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Yes everyone has been together since the beginning.

4. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    Ok now I feel guilty cause he's the only one who didn't greet me this morning and he's staying FAR away from me [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    No, your behavior is not appropriate. Pregnant ladies should not be chasing roosters aroound. Could we see a video? [​IMG]

He is probably starting to feel his oats. It may have been misdirected mating behavior or he may have been chasing the duck away from his 'flock.' He's a male approaching maturity so there will be personality changes. That's going to be a big rooster. His attentions may be too much for 2 hens to handle. I agree that he probably does not associate the chasing with his behavior towards the duck; however, you have probably assured him that he is NOT dominant to you.

6. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    My doctor just said less carbs and sugar- didn't say anything bout wranglin chickens. Lol. So-with the help of my husband- we caught him and I carried him around for as long as I could stand- prob half hour. Its funny cause these "babies" as I call them still immediately collapse in my arms. Its so sweet they nuzzle their head in my arm and close their eyes. So he did exactly that. my huge peking duck that cuddles in my lap was very upset and kept trying to bite him. And the hens were not happy with me at all!. anyways. The rooster didn't really struggle- I put him down and picked him up a few times. I even offered him a treat that he refused. When I finally let him go he made a ton of clucks like a hen in his deep teenager changing voice. I gave them all a treat and everything seemed fine. So I hope that's how to dominate a rooster and he's sufficiently submissive now I hate to get rid of him cause so far he generally is a sweet guy other than what I saw last night (which could have been mating behavior now that you mention it) his biggest problem is crowing to early-still waiting for the neighbors to complain about that.

7. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I totally agree with sourland. I would love to see a video of that. You have an awful lot of energy being pregnant chasing him. Just becareful. Good luck.

8. mickeymousears

Apr 29, 2011
    SLO; CA
    [​IMG] FORTUNITLY there is no video of me-at least I HOPE there isn't!! You know some pregnant ladies sit in rocking chairs knitting booties and some run wildly around the backyard chasing crafty chickens. [​IMG]

9. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    some run wildly around the backyard chasing crafty chickens. That would have been me when I was pregnant. LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by