Rooster attacked... help figuring out best plan of action

MadHatter08

Hatching
Apr 3, 2018
Something attacked my last rooster It has been a long winter and he was the last surviving chicken. He is roughly a year old. Free range, currently housed inside in a cooler room. Should I take him to a vet, can I manage at home (was headed to get some Blukote and other stuff this AM) Or should I save him any further pain and suffering?

The pic is gruesome- I'm sorry his underside is similar. My heart breaks- my daughter is devastated... we brought him in carefully washed him off in the bath tub...

Attachments

• 20180403_080900.jpg
    20180403_080900.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 9
I'm really not sure what killed the others- we had 9 ended up with 4 hens and 5 roosters I think the roosters chased each other off- I lost one hen to mites. We have been mite free for awhile and be has been healthy and thriving and he has 10 full grown hens to keep him company.

He has been walking and eating and drinking. I'm getting him Pedialyte and Aspirin this morning. But I know he has to be in pain. We don' have any real chicken vets in this area.

I'll see if I can get better pics but the nub is his tail on top of the pic is his right side under his wing... it basically looks like he was skinned to the meat and the back quarter of his body.

I appreciate it! Google led me here but I can' find anything comparable to his injuries...

Oh and he is a Rhode Island Red if that matters...

I recently had a Buff return after going missing and it too had been attacked. It was a juvenile and sustained multiple puncture wounds to the back. He was extremely week and had to be put down after he stopped walking. What was alarming was the maggots on and inside the bird. Check for puncture wounds, keep flies away. Wouldn't apply iodized salt but keep it wounds clean and hope for the best. Trim back any feathers around the wounds to avoid irritation of moisture buildup. Good luck!

Is what attacked him what killed your other chickens? I can't really tell what the picture is of. Do you have a good vet that knows what to do with chickens? I would personally just see how he is for a little bit to see if he needs to go to the vets. Is he eating and/or drinking?

Oh, I see now. Ouch. I'm not really sure what you should do. Hopefully someone knows how to deal with something like this.
I'm really not sure what killed the others- we had 9 ended up with 4 hens and 5 roosters I think the roosters chased each other off- I lost one hen to mites. We have been mite free for awhile and be has been healthy and thriving and he has 10 full grown hens to keep him company.

He has been walking and eating and drinking. I'm getting him Pedialyte and Aspirin this morning. But I know he has to be in pain. We don' have any real chicken vets in this area.

I'll see if I can get better pics but the nub is his tail on top of the pic is his right side under his wing... it basically looks like he was skinned to the meat and the back quarter of his body.

Back
Top Bottom