Rooster Attacked me today!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhino533, Aug 21, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    My roost went on a rampage and wouldn’t stop attacking me. I used to have 3 roosters and 1 hen. I got ride of 2 of the roost and kept the friendliest rooster out of the bunch. That was a few months ago and now I really don't trust him. Yesterday I went into his pen to fill up his feeder and before I knew what was happening he went into full attack mode spurring me as hard as he could on my legs (hurt like hell). He has 1" spurs and growing. Every time I tried to get to the pen door he would attack again. So what I had to do was take off my shoe and whacked him with it. That worked. It totally stunned him and then he wouldn't go near me and went into a warning call mode. This went on for 20 mins he was pretty angry. The good thing is he won't go near me now when I go into the pen. What would cause a rooster to attack like that? I go into the cage multiple times a day and never has he shown aggression to me. Will his aggression get worse? I worry to let him free range because he goes after everything except me (but that changed yesterday) Do you think it's time for a new rooster? I have another pen with a different group of chickens and as soon as he's out it's like a war. He races over to fight them all hen/roost it doesn’t matter. He's the only one who seems to want to fight. None of the others really do. He used to be so friendly. I wonder what changed????? Is there anything to make him less aggressive and back to how he used to be?

2. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Maybe someone pestered him? Nosy next door kid? Disruptive teenagers?
    Or maybe you just looked like a raccoon XD Have you been sleeping well? Sorry bad joke...*shot*
    Anyway, I have read before that sometimes roosters attack suddenly because of an odd or off behavior. Im not sure how right that is, but if that's the case did you do or bring anything different with you this time?

3. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. Lisa202

Lisa202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2010
    Long Island NY
    But seriously, there are soooooo many posts on here about angry roosters. I've read everything from culling him with no tolerance for attacking roosters, to posts about trying to rehabilitate one. This is a tough situation and I'm sorry I can't offer any advice other than to do a search on here and read them all. I'm just hoping my rooster doesn't eventually turn on me one day too...I hear this happening so much.

I think it's a good thing that you fought back and he retreated and that now he won't go near you, so keep it that way, but the that fact that he goes after the others in the other coop makes me think that this might have something to do with his aggression?

5. ChickyLove

ChickyLove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    I'm so sorry hun. I recently had to rehome my rooster Buttercup, when he started doing the same thing. He was a sweetie and then five or six consecutive days in a row drew blood from my ankles, big toe, finger and arm. He's now the happy leader of his very own harem one town over from me and spoiled rotten. Free ranges at day and in the coop at night. If you think you can rehab him go for it. I personally will not have an animal in my home/on my property that will hurt me or family members. Maybe he was just having an off day?

6. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:Thinking about it, I had a pair of jeans on that day when I went into the pen. Usually 99% of the time I wear shorts when I enter the pen. Could of that caused him to attack? Today everything seemed normal. I went into the pen fed him with no problems. He let me get close enough to pick him up. I was wearing shorts.

He's a strange rooster. He crows every night at strange times. 12am, 2am then not till about 6am and then all through out the day. Every night/day is the same.

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You didn't say, but is this rooster just now 8-12 months old?

8. ChickyLove

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    He's a strange rooster. He crows every night at strange times. 12am, 2am then not till about 6am and then all through out the day. Every night/day is the same.

How old is he again? Buttercup was about 10 weeks old when he really started crowing and NEVER crowed on a schedule - he is now 14 weeks old. He would crow at midnight, 3:20 am, 6:45, then through the day as he desired. When he heard my feet on the stairs, when he thought he wasn't getting enough attention, when he thought he just needed to challenge me. Often it was him challenging me. He'd look right at me and give it his best and loudest. Still though, there were times when he would want to snuggle. Maybe the jeans did do, it, but at the same time, I'd keep wearing them and desensitize him to them.​

9. rhino533

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Fred's Hens :

You didn't say, but is this rooster just now 8-12 months old?

He'll be a year Nov.2nd​

10. ChickyLove

Jun 2, 2011
    Springfield, MA.
    Do you have only one hen?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by