Rooster..Attacked Me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sparks, Nov 25, 2007.

1. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    I spent the morning doing chicken chores and hanging around the chickens in their pen. Watched a couple of eggs being hatched (very cool). Then I went to town to do some errands. I purchased a couple of Christmas gifts. Lotions and shower gels. Sprayed a couple to try them out. When I came home without even thinking about it went to check on the egg situation and my Speckled Sussex Roo started to attack me. Just kept coming at me. Scared the H*** out of me. Never had anything like that happen before. Thinking about it later I was wondering if it happened due to the fragrance on me? I rarely wear the stuff myself. YIKES! Don`t want to go through that again.[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2007
  2. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    it could be. i once wore a floppy hat out during the summer and my goats literally stampeded like fifty miles an hour the other direction. the next day, they were fine. so, the difference could be the possiblity.

how old is it? i would watch closely and if similar things keep happening, well, for me, it would be b'bye.

but, maybe the difference will be all it is. good luck

3. Sparks

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    Our Roo is 6 months old. We will have to be very cautious because lots of children visit. No it will not happen again.[​IMG]

4. Scrambled Egg

Scrambled Egg Flock Mistress

Aug 29, 2007
    Fayetteville, NC
    If only men were that easy to handle - alot of women would wear floppy hats and perfume surprise everyday -- I can just imagine all the free time we would have when they went off in in a frustrated stampede in the other direction!!! We could spend more time on the chicken forum, craft, shop, email our friends......the list goes on and on ...... now what exactly did that hat look like and that perfume mix smell like???????? [​IMG]

5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    [​IMG] this is a hen that prefers hens. so, you gotta ask someone else about what roosters do or don't like. hee hee [​IMG]

6. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    I spend time with the chickens every day and once the weather got cold, I started wearing a long trench coat. My dominant Roo went after me. I had to give him holding therapy and remind him who was boss. It seems whenever I change my appearance, coat hat etc. he gets confused!
    also with eggs hatching wouldn't he be more protective??? Am I assuming Roos take on that role?

7. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    I had a rooster that attacked me a couple of times, he doesn't live here anymore! I don't want to feel like I can't walk in my run without getting attacked. Once mine started he didn't stop no matter how I responded.

8. Sparks

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    Jenichick...That does not sound so good for my roo. He was checking me out for sure but I was very wary of him. He was fine today. I did take a big stick in with me though. I said I was watching a hatch but what I meant was I was watching eggs being laid.

9. jenichick

jenichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    NC
    Mine would stay close to me and act like he was pecking and then when I turned my back to walk away, BAM, he jump up at the backs of my legs. Out of instinct I kicked him (hard), he came at me harder, I grabbed the rake and held it at him and he stayed back until I turned to walk away. I only have one rooster now, but when I go in the run I alway carry the rake, I don't trust the him anymore because of the other one.

10. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    One of my roos attacked me a few times. The first couple of times he got launched, and that seemed to do it. The third time he came at me I had the hose and treated him to a good dousing and then for the next three days I went into the coop before they were up, picked him up and carried him around for about 15 minutes. He now leaves me alone. Every now and then he gives me the baleful eye and I ask him, "Does Rocky want to be picked up?" and he hightails it in the other direction! It's been about four months since it happened, so we'll see if it sticks. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by