Rooster attacked mom yesterday

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nupine, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Yesterday, one of my silver laced wyandotte roosters attacked my mom. He is about 8 months old and has no spurs yet, just stubs. She was walking to the other side of the goat barn [some of our chickies stay there] and had a metal shiny comb in her hand. Then he ran up to her and attacked once or twice, she screamed and she hit him really hard with the comb. It made HIS comb bleed pretty hard. I yelled at her to stop because that is only going to make him meaner. She turned or OEGB into a monster a few years ago by kicking him. The rooster jumped up to the roost, and I grabbed him nicely, he was fine. Then I held him and walked up to my mom. She was scared, but I asked her touch him, he is a nice rooster. She complained for a minute then reached out and tried to pet him on the head. Like a snake striking, in a split second he reached out and bit her!! From past experience, I have seen that it is pretty rare for a roo to bite well you are holding them. Then I rubbed his waddles and he was fine. He has bit me once a few months ago, and tried to attack me last month, but not any more. He wil just calmly walk away from me. I was hoping to sell him because I have way too many roosters, but how can I now? I am a firm believer that there are rogue roosters, or any animal for that matter. There is always a reason why they do what they do, unlike people who can be rogue. Could he have attacked because of fear of the shiny comb, or past experience with my mom? My mom gets attacked and bit alot, because she doesn't know how to respect and act around my chickens. Any advice? Does anyone want him? Oh, who am I asking, no one will want him. Do they? What caused this and what should I do? Don't say ''chicken stew'', read my signature. Thanks!!
    Ashlyn

2. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I've heard that dogs can sense "evil people",
    Wonder if the same is true for chickens [​IMG]

I really don't know!
    My chickens act weird when a stranger comes around, but not in the weird attacking way.
    My neice has come to visit from FL and I was showing her and her BF my chickens, when I opened the door to my japs and polish pen, 1 polish hen ran straight to the door and then all the roosters ran after her, some pecking her as if to say "get back".
    I was scared she was gonna get out so I told my neice to shut the door and just let her view from outside.

Another time my DH was outside the pen, I was inside, and usually they all run to me when I go in. This time, they all stayed back in the corner and came up to me ONLY when DH walked away.

Perhaps your mother's presence spooked and upset this rooster!

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I think it was just your Mom. The rooster didn't attack you when you picked him up, nor did he bite you while you were holding him. I bet if someone, other than your mom, were to pet him he'd be okay. Know anyone else who's not afraid to test that? The rooster probably sensed the fear from your Mom when she tried to just pet him while you held him.

4. Bawkadoodledoo

Bawkadoodledoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2008
    Central MA
    maybe he took your mom as a threat.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I had a rooster once that hated my husband. He would stalk and attack him.

When I was a kid, my older sister (who was always kind to animals) could never go in the coop. The chickens would attack her, even the hens. I, on the other hand, could walk in and around them peacefully. There are just some people chickens hate. That said, mean roosters can be dangerous, especially if they are around young children. Be careful if any children come on your property. A rooster can take out an eye or scar a face very easily.

Your Mom might want to try approaching the birds differently. Does she walk fast, swing her arms excessively, wear bright clothes, talk loudly or have an unusual voice? Does she walk straight into the flock so they may think she is charging in aggressively? Keep in mind all of these things can bother the birds, and all of these things are done by kids. I would worry that the rooster may be dangerous around kids and your mom.

6. Nupine

Nupine Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    He hasn't attacked her today, but I don't think she walked in there! I don't know what to do with him.

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

My mom gets attacked and bit alot, because she doesn't know how to respect and act around my chickens. Any advice?

You just answered your own question...
    The roo was trying to point out the error of her ways...​

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    No matter the reason for the attack I have no place in my barn for a mean chicken. Your mother is above that roo. No one will walk around my home and property and be intimidated by a chicken for any reason. He would be on the chopping block if he were mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by