Rooster attacked my DS & DD

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dadsdeercamp, Dec 3, 2011.

1. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    My 13 year old DD went out to feed the chickens and a roo that has been running free in the yard for a few months attacked her going for her face she screamed so my 15 year old son runs out side to see whats going on and the rooster goes for his face. they come and tell me I go out and get my stick a five foot peace of closet pole and put a quick end to this mean old rooster who is now being skinned by the kids who have never done any processing before. Its fun to watch.

2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    that sounds like a pretty brutal way to dispatch him

3. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Hey do what you have to do! [​IMG] I would of done the same thing...he could of really hurt them.

4. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    Quote:Sounds like a resalable way to me...he was an immediate danger to the family. i can think of 50 other ways he wound have been dead within 30 sec. all of them not pretty.

5. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:You made the right decision, kid's first chickens second. A face attacking bird probably can't be fixed, I have had success with violent roosters but in your case, you did the right thing.

6. Carolyn

Carolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    Relieved to find this post was not "what should I do, I really love my roo?". Regardless of the method you did the right thing; don't think the prime consideration was how to get the best meat or dispatch in the most humane matter. There are too many roos in the world to keep one that will harm you or your kids. Enjoy your meal.

7. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:And the Kids will never taste a chicken that tastes better then that one.

9. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    I have grand children that are here almost daily and I'm the only mean roo aloud here. He never felt a thing one hit to the head and it was all over no damaged meat just dinner on next tuesday.

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Good job dad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by