Rooster attacked my leg. Who's the roo me or him?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Moochie, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I was taking pictures of my chickens and I had left the camera on top of the nest boxes. After I picked up and petted my favorite hen I realized that I forgot the camera. I walked back and when I past the roo he attacked my leg. I didn't see it but I heard the flapping and the clucking he made so I assume he sparred at me? [​IMG]
    I'm fine by the way. I'm wearing sweats and I only felt a little itching and theres no marks. Also this isn't the first time a rooster is being all "im de boss" towards me.
    After he attacked my leg I followed him around a bit, squatted on the ground, flapped my arms around and "sized him up". During it all he ran around in circles and was clucking.
    So how do I win this battle, so it doesn't come again in the future?
    I'm worried that if I make myself head honcho I'm ruining the chances of one of the roos to breed with my various mutts.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

No worries. 2nd and 3rd rank roos mate, just behind the #1 rooster's back. He needs to be #2.

You do indeed need to be #1 or that rooster isn't safe to be around. Don't be afraid to really "put him in his place".

3. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    New at this but from what I have been told is. Make them back down. I have 3 and I just walk towards them till they back away. I have one and he got me from behind and I busted his behind with a switch. No I did not hurt him just let him know NO. Then I chased him down in the run until I caught him. (took 5 mins) Then I just held him till he calmed down and let me pet him. Put him down. Every know and then he tries (he is head roo) and i look at him. I don't want him to be my pet just respectful. Good luck

4. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by