Rooster attacked new hen

Akennedy

Songster
Jun 1, 2020
I tried integrating 2 pullets about 5 months old into a flock of 4 (rooster and 3 hens) I thought he’d be delighted to have some more hens. But he went completely insane and acted like he was trying to kill the first one I put in. Now she can’t open one of her eyes. It’s all swollen. I hope he didn’t blind her. Not sure if there’s anything I can do for her. I took her back out and don’t even want to try that again.

How is he behaving with the other pullet? Did you do a "see don't touch" period of several days before putting them together?
I actually have had them in a pen close by for over a week. I didn’t even get to the point of putting the other pullet in. I only put the first in.

Integration is a process. Putting one in at a time made her a target. Maybe start next time with a small pen inside the larger pen. Make sure there are plenty of hiding places without dead ends.

Integration is a process. Putting one in at a time made her a target. Maybe start next time with a small pen inside the larger pen. Make sure there are plenty of hiding places without dead ends.
Thanks! Good ideas

Back
Top Bottom