Rooster attacked new hen

Chloe

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Ireland
Hi all, Recently my silkie hen died, so my silkie rooster was left alone, seeing as I sold the rest of my hens in favour of ducks, I decided to buy a hen to keep my rooster company. I went today and bought a silver sussex POL Pullet and put her in with the rooster, shes very docile and altho there was a bit of a squabble I thought nothing of it and went on out, but when I came back I found her sitting on the ground with a big lump out of the back of her head and she seemed very lethargic. I have taken her out and put her alone in the garage but Im not sure what to do now, I didnt think that a rooster would be so aggressive towards a hen? I'll add pics later but what I want to know is will she survive and how do I treat this wound? and is my rooster useless if he wont allow hens?

If he is accustomed to silky hens only, he me regard this pullet with her upright comb as masculine. Or it may simply be defending his territory against an interloper. Chickens do not like change, and any changes in their social structure cause turmoil.

she doesnt have much of a comb.. so basically there is no hope of ever putting a hen in with them or this will happen

This might be stupid because I'm a newb but I've heard that you have to add new members to a flock at night so they will wake up together.... and they think they are family... otherwise, if you add during the day, it's just someone new trespassing on their territory..... is this just with hens? Sorry if I'm completely off base. I'll keep my mouth shut.

And I'm sorry. I don't know how to treat the wound on your girl.

Last edited:
They need to be integrated slowly, the same as if you were adding a bunch of them. Try putting them in their run together, separated by chicken wire, so they can see each other, but not get at each other. You can also sneak her into the roost at night once he has gotten comfy. After a few days of this they should be able to play nice.

Back
Top Bottom