rooster attacked rooster, Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chixcoop, Jan 24, 2016.

1. chixcoop

chixcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    I have 2 bantam roosters that are 12 weeks old. I tagged them about two weeks ago to keep track of the one that will be dominant— today I found out for sure...[​IMG] When I went in to change their water, I noticed that one barely had hair on his head and his head itself was looking green. I already have a separate pen for the hens, and another separate pen for the chicks so should I make a third one for the hurt rooster?

2. myhen7coop

myhen7coop Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2015
    Greenfield
    I have gone throw the same thing befor with my roosters and I found (pick-no-more) is a great way to get roosters to stop pecking and to grow feathers back.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Bantam roosters of some breeds can be very aggressive to other roosters. The hurt rooster needs to be caged, and I would probably separate them permanently. The green on his head is probably bruising. If you can get Vetericyn wound spray and use it on his head daily. Plain Neosporin would also work. It will take a few weeks for his feathers to grow back in.

4. chixcoop

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    GRAPHIC, caution...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. myhen7coop

Sep 30, 2015
    Greenfield
    OMG by the looks of it the head looks infected and need help quick from a vet if you can maybe supplements to grow feathers and the ( pick-no-more) will heal the skin but I can't make any promises[​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What is your long term plan for those roosters? If you plan to keep them both, you'll need separate housing. I'd be thinking long and hard about keeping a bird that did such injury to another bird at a young age as this, especially if everyone had plenty of space.

If you don't plan to keep them both, now is the time to cull one.

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Oh, poor little guy. His whole head looks bruised. There is a lot of blood on his comb. I would use the Vetericyn on him, give him some chopped egg or canned tuna, and make sure that he is drinking well. He will probably heal up soon.

8. myhen7coop

Sep 30, 2015
    Greenfield
    not to be rude but wouldn't him eggs and meat be bad the eggs would make him eat eggs and tuna would just not be healthy.

9. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most ill chickens really benefit from some chopped boiled or scrambled egg or some chopped tuna. They do not become egg eaters from eating egg. Tuna is quite good for protein, and these are both good in getting a sick chicken to eat.

1 person likes this.
  10. chixcoop

Jul 24, 2015
    Western Mass
    They are in a 3x8 area, it happened sometime 2 days ago, and they are still together and seem fine. The dominant rooster hasn't been that aggressive to the other in the time that I've seen him. are 7 chickens @12 weeks old too many in an 8x4 enclosed area? I was hoping to wait another month at least before I integrated them with the other chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by