Rooster attacked, what can be done?

Liltygar

In the Brooder
May 5, 2015
I'm not sure if this is the right area for this, but my neighbors dog got my rooster today. He is still alive, for now, but looks pretty rough.

He is now safely back in his area, but has no tail feathers at all, skin is showing, and I think tail bone is poking through. What kind of doctoring can I do?

The best thing you can do is provide good supportive care to allow his body to heal --- they are amazingly resilient. Shock is the first concern - isolate him in a "hospital unit (crate, cage, box, etc) where you can give him a calm, quiet, warm place with good nutrition and hydration where he is protected from potential picking by flock mates, further attacks, etc. Clean any visible wounds so that you can better assess the damage -- if the skin is in fact broken and the bone is poking through the skin that will need to be addressed - once you have him contained and cleaned up you can take and post photos of any wounds so that we can see them and best advise on how to proceed. From there it is a matter of allowing his body to repair itself while preventing any further damage (exposed skin and especially exposed wounds invite picking and cannibalism) and monitoring for and treating any infection that develops (likelyhood depends on whether the skin is broken).

I am trying to upload a picture.

Most of the time he is a jerks and attacks, so I have to carry a water bottle or one of my dogs. Since this attack, I have been able to get close enough to take these pictures, he has no desire or cant crow, and did not show any desire to attack. I only have 3, 2 girls and him and they aren't pickers that I know of so I believe he is safe with them, but these are my first chickens.

Back
Top Bottom