1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster attacking chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CasadasHens, Dec 17, 2013.

1. CasadasHens

CasadasHens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    My normally sweet natured cockerel has given the 3 chicks a peck in the past but now they are 11 weeks old, he is really chasing them, pecking and trying to kick at them. I could understand it if they were cockerels but I am sure one is a hen. They all free range during the day where there is plenty of space for them not to be on top of each other but I have had to separate them away from him when they are penned in for the night. Is this normal behaviour? I am new to chick rearing.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Pullet or hen would do same. Once cockerel matures he will leave younger birds alone.

3. CasadasHens

Dec 4, 2013
    The cockerel doing the attacking is mature but really has it in for the chicks and chases them to try to get at them. I am sure he would kill one with a kick if he could. The other mature hens just do the usual 'pecking order' routine.... Thanks for your help.

4. CasadasHens

Dec 4, 2013
    The cockerel doing the attacking is mature but really has it in for the chicks and chases them to try to get at them. I am sure he would kill one with a kick if he could. The other mature hens just do the other 'pecking order' routine.... Thanks for your help.

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    How old is the cockerel? Your use of that term instead of rooster and especially cock suggests he is not mature.

6. CasadasHens

Dec 4, 2013
    Ah, sorry. Just found out there is a difference in the word 'cockerel' as used in the USA as opposed to UK, so I now realize you use the term rooster to denote a mature bird, not cockerel. So I meant rooster!

7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Proper term for mature on both sides of pond is "cock". Cockerel as you noted means juvenile and rooster is vague thus confusing discussion unless age also given. How old is.your male bird?

8. CasadasHens

Dec 4, 2013
    Thanks for clarification. He is around 20 months old.

9. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    If cock still in molt he can be excused, if not then replace the bum. That aside, make certain birds have sufficient room and are in good nutrition; cock and juveniles.

10. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    You should not put chicks in a flock of older chickens. You have to wait until the chicks are about the same size as the grown chickens.

If the chicks are raised by a hen, then it is different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by