Rooster attacking despite some advices followed

Pics

Stefankeyes

Songster
Nov 6, 2021
Hi everyone. Second post of today. But this one a bit more serious. I have 3 chickens all hatched November 16th. 2 I know are hens But our white one in picture is a Roo. Dekalb White I believe his breed to be, I have tried some advice from online for behavior aggression issues over the past couple + weeks. Such as just spending more time around the flock. just talking with them. And even manually handing rooster in way to "Assert Dominance but affection also" as one video suggested by holding him down by his back like a dominant rooster would to assert his dominance to stop fighting but also rewarding treats from the hand. While this seems to work for other people. Its been a total loss for me. every time I enter their "area" to refill their food or water he just attacks me. bites onto my shirt sleeve and jumps up at my arm with his claws. I have been told just to cull him but I have never had such experience and honestly I don't know if I even have it in me to do that, I am kind of at a total lost point now. So anything you guys can suggest would be definitely appreciated.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-14 at 16.16.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-14 at 16.16.37.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 76
I really recommend that you try to cull him yourself. It will be much easier on him and that is part of your responsibility as a chicken owner. Also you would have a little experience with it in case there is an emergency at some point and you have to take quick action. We recently had dogs attack our chickens and I had to put a couple of hens out of their misery, I was really glad that I could do it quickly.

I learned by watching this video. The lady takes you through it step by step and she gets the job done humanely. If you wait until roosting time at night and keep everything as dark as you can it will be fairly low stress for the rooster and for you.

Rooster culling

Put him on craigslist with full disclosure of his behavior. Probably be someone's dinner but better than keeping aggressive behavior.

You tried, that counts for something but if he's going to be a butt, he needs to go. Either full disclosure in Craigslist or send him to freezer camp.
Thats def an option. I have put up an ad on a local facebook page to anyone who wants him either to keep for breeding or for meat with full behaviour disclosure (i wouldn't mind if there wasn't children around to keep him). Its been a day with no response yet on FB so I'm guessing ill need to try advertise elsewhere before making the final cull decision but ill give it a couple of days.

I really recommend that you try to cull him yourself. It will be much easier on him and that is part of your responsibility as a chicken owner. Also you would have a little experience with it in case there is an emergency at some point and you have to take quick action. We recently had dogs attack our chickens and I had to put a couple of hens out of their misery, I was really glad that I could do it quickly.

I learned by watching this video. The lady takes you through it step by step and she gets the job done humanely. If you wait until roosting time at night and keep everything as dark as you can it will be fairly low stress for the rooster and for you.

Rooster culling
I do 100% agree with you. One way or another its going to come with the territory of keeping them! I guess I'm just too soft. I always had them as pets rather than for food / eggs. Apart of the family. If I can find someone local to help guide me during the culling process in person then I would probably be a lot more comfortable doing it myself. Last option is to pay for Euthanize at a Vet that will do it. Although that costs but also wastes the meat since it cannot be eaten after that.

I do 100% agree with you. One way or another its going to come with the territory of keeping them! I guess I'm just too soft. I always had them as pets rather than for food / eggs. Apart of the family. If I can find someone local to help guide me during the culling process in person then I would probably be a lot more comfortable doing it myself. Last option is to pay for Euthanize at a Vet that will do it. Although that costs but also wastes the meat since it cannot be eaten after that.
I didn't think I had it in me for my first cull and had considered a vet. That changed when he pissed me off enough. After that it was quite easy. Broomstick method.

I didn't think I had it in me for my first cull and had considered a vet. That changed when he pissed me off enough. After that it was quite easy. Broomstick method.
I just seen a video of the broom stick method earlier! actually a few vids. One guy even accidentally pulled its entire head right off :eek:My main fear more than anything is doing it wrong and increasing the suffering. Do you think a .22 Air rifle could do the job quick enough if if it was to the head (point black)? In culling I feel its the physical contact that would hold me back more during the process. It is on the lower end of power about 450 fps

I just seen a video of the broom stick method earlier! actually a few vids. One guy even accidentally pulled its entire head right off :eek:My main fear more than anything is doing it wrong and increasing the suffering. Do you think a .22 Air rifle could do the job quick enough if if it was to the head (point black)? In culling I feel its the physical contact that would hold me back more during the process. It is on the lower end of power about 450 fps
Can't speak to the air rifle. Have seen comments of full .22. Strong flapping is a good sign of a clean break with the broom stick. I maintained hands on to restrain. If you pull too hard and remove the head, there is little doubt that it was humane.

Can't speak to the air rifle. Have seen comments of full .22. Strong flapping is a good sign of a clean break with the broom stick. I maintained hands on to restrain. If you pull too hard and remove the head, there is little doubt that it was humane.
seems I have a lot to think about while I wait to see if any responses come from my FB ad. You ever tried the "cone" method? that is one I think I may be able to handle more, Thank you by the way for the responses. I may not reply until tomorrow now as I'm about to jump of to bed, but again, Thanks!!

Back
Top Bottom