rooster attacking hen -- please help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlackGiantMerlin, Feb 27, 2014.

1. BlackGiantMerlin

BlackGiantMerlin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    I have been reading other threads on this issue -- what I'd like to know is if anyone successfully reintroduced a hen to a rooster who was attacking her so that they could both live in peace with the entire flock?

We've had chickens for seven years and learned so much through this time. We've successfully introduced a new rooster to a group of grown hens after losing our original rooster and everyone lived peacefully. Our last original flock hen died about a month ago, leaving us with solo rooster who is about 4-5 years old. He's always been pretty docile. We didn't wait long to get a few hens to keep him company -- they are young adults approaching the time of egg laying. One of the three has been resisting him - yesterday I noticed some of her neck feathers were picked off -- though I wasn't alarmed because this was not much different than what I have seen previously. Well today was a different story - I was mortified to see her neck bloody and many more feathers gone, then he went after her in front of me like he was trying to kill her. I've since separated our rooster (very temporary set up) from all the hens but the one who's been attacked is so traumatized I can't even get close to her to help clean her up -- it looks mostly like superficial wounds. He has been fine with the other two hens.

We don't want to get rid of any of them which means separating is the only answer -- and if we did re-home, how do we decide? Has anyone been through something like this and been able to successfully reintroduce and keep peace in the flock?

Please let me know what you did -- thank you!!

2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    In chicken society there is this thing called the pecking order. It rules all chicken interactions. If a hen submits to the rooster he protects her. If the hen refuses to submit (and not just in a sexual fashion) the rooster treats her like a rival until such time that she recognizes his top position in the flock. Such is chicken society.

3. BlackGiantMerlin

BlackGiantMerlin Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Thanks, yes, I think we have to rename her for being such a tough broad and a rebel. She has no interest in the roo -- and now it seems the other hens are ousting her too -- for the moment we have her separated and are treating her. Just wish they would all get along.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by