Rooster attacking my Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by familyof4, Sep 13, 2008.

1. familyof4

familyof4 New Egg

Sep 13, 2008
    I have had my hen for about 5 years and my rooster for about 5. Recently he as been viciously attacking her. Why and what to do about it?? I am about to get rid of him.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Hi and Welcome to BYC!

First, you should repost this in the correct area to get more help "Chicken Behaviors and Egg laying". Possibly a Mod will see it and move it for you.

Now, how many other chickens do you have? Any other Roosters? What size space are they in? These answers will help us help you.

If you only have the one Roo with one hen, then he needs some other ladies to divide his attention between. The poor girl gets all his undivided attention and she's paying the price for it.

If you have other hens then we need to figure out if something else has changed or what.

3. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    [​IMG] I'm going to report you (you didn't do anything wrong) so the mods can switch you to a forum where you will get more replies. I honestly have no idea.

4. familyof4

familyof4 New Egg

Sep 13, 2008
    Thank you so much for your response. I am just so upset and need answers!! Hen is a Blue Cochin Rooster is a Barnevelder. I have 2 Hens and 1 Rooster. I had 4 hens, 2 passed last year. A hawk got one and her sister died not soon after.

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Do you need a roo?

If not, I'd get rid of him and enjoy your hen(s). If you have a small suburban setup, a mellow flock is even more important. Stressed/aggressive/bored chickens can and will cause great harm ~ or even death ~ to each other if the situation is allowed to get out of hand.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

sometimes they "know" when its time for another birds life to end. is she "old" acting? wont mate? sick maybe?
    usually if theres a big change in their behavior towards each other, the "mating" has stopped, or something wrong with the "other"

7. familyof4

familyof4 New Egg

Sep 13, 2008
    Thank you! I was thinking about donating him to our local High School Ag Center. I just don't understand why he would just start attacking one of the hens.

8. familyof4

familyof4 New Egg

Sep 13, 2008
    She is almost 6 years old. I just want her to live in peace in her senior life.

9. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Get more hens. The rooster needs to be happy then he won't fight, hopefully.

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I agree that you either need to get more hens or rehome the Rooster so your hens can live in peace.

If you do get more hens and he is still this aggressive to just the one hen, that would be strange and I'd have to think that one through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by