1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster attacking one of my hens.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenmanjim7, Jan 27, 2017.

1. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    I recently got a new rooster as my old cochin was too submissive and getting stripped of his feathers by the hens. The new rooster is a full sized mixed breed. Yesterday was the first day he was out of the cage with the hens. Today I noticed that he attacks one of my Rhode Island reds. He has been going around showing regular dominance with the other hens. But he pushes her right into the corner. I have noticed that she is not squatting for him. He doesn't draw blood but chases her around quite quickly. Is this just him establishing dominance? Or something I need to worry about?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Normal behavior. It will continue until she submits.

1 person likes this.
  3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It probably is him trying to dominate, but in a bad way. When I have young roosters acting like that they get penned within the coop for a few days to weeks until I try him again. I keep this up until peace has been established.

Sometimes when a rooster is penned he's forced to try interacting with the hens through the fence, by calling them over and talking sweet to them. Sometimes he can win them over through the fence, and sometimes he learns better manner from it.

I have kept roosters penned for weeks to months, with occasionally letting them out to see if they are improving. Most become good roosters for it. Otherwise they can be too eager to take control of the hens.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    I figured it was like this. If by tomorrow he hasn't calmed down much into the pen he will go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by