Rooster attacking the horses.

Rowzy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Renton, WA
Yep. Like the title says my rooster will not stop attacking the horses. He spurs my geldings legs, making him bleed. His back legs got all scratched up from the rooster (I watched him do this from a distance.). Now im not too worried about him seriously hurting the horse, rather its the other way around.
Naturally when the rooster attacks my horses the horses try to attack the rooster or run away. When you have a 900 lb horse and a 10 lb rooster the chances are the horse will win. Also I'm worried the rooster will get to something more delicate then back legs (like the face area somehow)
Is there anything I can do about this? I'm pretty worried about both the rooster and the horses.

Sounds like you have a basic incompatibility problem there, and could use a new rooster, one with more sense. I'd suggest taking care of it yourself before there are equine vet bills involved (stitches, eyeballs, etc)

Sorry, good luck,

Pat

I have horses and there is no way I would tolerate an aggressive rooster toward my horses.

Time for fried chicken - if that offends, sorry.

I have horses and my mare will kill any chicken that comes over in the fence......or she will at least try.

They don't mess with ours but I would have me some chicken n dumplings with that rooster
wink.png

I really don't think the chicken is going to damage the horse...maybe cause him to bleed or even be spooked (that could cause more injury) so pen up the rooster or eat him are my thoughts.....

I would worry about the eyes of the poor horse! And it could be just a matter of time before a well timed kick gets the rooster. I have never had a rooster attack the horses, but my goat head butts the horses to get her share of the hay.
tongue.png
Maybe you need a goat to set the rooster straight??
lol.png

Seriously though I would hate for there to be some bad damage done to my horses legs or tendons or face etc... That rooster needs to be penned away from the horses or ????

I would never be able to kill my rooster. I love him (somehow). Do you think if I gave him away and got a different rooster it would be better? Im guessing that most roosters wouldnt attack horses?

Most roosters would not attempt to attack horses, let alone mini horses!
lol.png

I would not have that rooster around, rehome him as soon as possible. It would be ONE day he would injure your horse.

yes the rooster can damage the horses legs,, if his spurs are sharp!!! all he needs to do is "stab" a tendon and have it get infected, you could have a lame horse...
or prick the cornet band, cause and infection and have it go down into the hoof causing swelling in the hoof... and lame your horse (possibly for life)..
or stab a KNEE deep enough to leak joint fluid,,,,,
etc etc....
the rooster #1 needs its spurs cut WAY WAY back.. so he cant hurt the horses
#2 be seperated in a pen
#3 give him away
#4 cook him

my mustang and donkey.. both caught in the WILD, would have KILLED him long time ago...

Last edited:
If you don't want to waste a good dinner, put that roo in the pot now. If it were at my house, Skip (my gelding) would be on the sly,hunting that roo to kill for fun.

Back
Top Bottom