1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster attacks Hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 5sallad5, May 18, 2009.

1. 5sallad5

5sallad5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Trion, Ga
    My Partridge Silkie Roo attack my Cornish Hen. He grabbed her wing with his beak. She screamed VERY loud. That was the only part I saw. When me and my brother checked her, her comb was bleeding just a little. IDK what the rooster was doing. Can anyone tell me what's up.

2. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Were they just put in together recently? He probably was trying to breed her. sometimes with finicky hens, the roosters will try to grab hold of them any way they can to try and hold them down. if he gets real aggressive towards her, i'd take her out.

3. pringle

pringle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Pepperell,MA
    Im not to sure whats going on but you should remove him at once either to another pen or to freezer camp.A rooster that aggresive could turn on humans especially children.

4. 5sallad5

5sallad5 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    Trion, Ga
    Yeah, they've been together for 2-weeks. I might just give him to someone else.

5. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I would, some roosters are just to aggressive towards the girls, and could really hurt them bably if they throw their weight around. Like really if you think about it...humans are put in jail for things that some roosters do to some hens.

Last edited: May 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by