Rooster attacks new hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tomfromsc, Jul 23, 2018.

1. tomfromsc

tomfromsc Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    South Carolina
    I have two new hens i'm trying to introduce to my existing flock of 4 Buff Lace Brahma hens and 1 BLB rooster. The two new hens are Buff Orps and they are both with their chicks (5) the chicks are 3 weeks and 4 weeks old , they have been in two different coops for a couple of weeks and can see each other so I thought letting them free range together would be a good next step before I put the new girls in the big coop. For the first two days no problem, on the third day Bruce attacks one of the new girls as in serious head pecking and spurring from in front of her going for her head and neck while the hen is down in breeding position , to the point that I had to break it up... I feel Bruce cannot be trusted any longer and I plan on re-homing him ..sad cause he was my favorite ,the only one to come close and eat from my hand .. what a bummer ..any comments or ideas would be greatly appreciated

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Well technically your rooster is doing his job by trying to drive out strangers. Some roosters will take all hens, and others become loyal to a smaller flock. He may eventually accept them, or you may continue to have problems. Every rooster is different.

3. Top Rooster

Top Rooster Songster

Aug 16, 2015
    North East Oklahoma
    Hens with chicks do not introduce well to roosters they won’t be as submissive as a normal hen as they will protect they’re chicks at all costs and a rooster does not like a stubborn hen that won’t listen to him. I had a hen hatch chicks and then I reintroduced her to the flock soon after her and the rooster fought long and hard but eventually the roo won and i think planned on killing her by pulling all of her neck feathers till they bled and killing one of her chicks. I had him killed the next day I won’t tolerate such abussive roosters, so for future reference with hens raising chicks and roosters i wouldn’t separate them so they don’t feel the need to reastablish the pecking order.

tomfromsc likes this.
  4. tomfromsc

tomfromsc Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    South Carolina
    Thanks for your interest. I will probably try a couple of more days and then decide

5. tomfromsc

tomfromsc Songster

Nov 6, 2017
    South Carolina
    Thank you for your interest I will probably try to be patient and give it a couple days to see

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry you are having problems.

Can you clarify are both new hens broody with chicks? Are both hens exhibiting "broody behavior"? (puffed up, protecting chicks, clucking, still providing shelter, showing chicks feed, etc.)

Photos of your space-coop/run (dimensions)?
    How old is your rooster?

I'm not sure what you should do in this particular situation. It's unfortunate that the hen was attacked and I hope that her injuries are not too severe.

oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  7. RyRe2010

RyRe2010 Songster

May 9, 2017
    Indiana
    I didn't have a hen with chicks, like you do. I had a rooster that had decided that he no longer liked our Ameraucana hen and would hold her down and probably kill her if I didn't intervene. I got rid of him the same day. He was other than that, a good rooster...after attacking my hen like that, he was no longer useful. My hens are WAY more valuable than a single rooster.
    Good luck in your decision! It's not easy to decide, but roosters are not as easy to sway as a bully hen.

tomfromsc and Top Rooster like this.
  8. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I would wait and try this again once the hen has weaned her brood and is laying again. Bruce is much more likely to accept her if he thinks she's in a position to produce his offspring, and right now she isn't.:)

9. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    If it wasn’t so bad,I would say let it continue.It about three weeks for my boy to fully except a hen I introduce into the flock.Just because she is a girl doesn’t teens she is gonna slide in for free,and she has kids,please!My rooster is a great guy,but he can’t stand broodies,I would wait till the hens are doen brooding,then try again.My rooster now courts the run around the yard,it takes time but birds will adjust to the new comers.Maybe separates your rooster,don’t get rid of a good rooster.

10. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Crowing

Sep 25, 2015
    Lots of chick deaths are not the roosters fault,likely he owners,if you know the bird isn’t good with chicks an mothering hens,you should t be letting them come in contact till the chicks are older.A rooster is not being abbusive bud fending himself form a hen or driving strangers out his territory,if the hens.

RyRe2010 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: