Rooster attitude

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by joymac, Oct 29, 2011.

1. joymac

joymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    I'm new and have 8 chicks of various breeds and ages (Ameraucanas, Marans and one Silkie, 7 weeks to 3 weeks old). I keep reading about how the young roosters start to become evident as they have a little different attitude and I'm wondering what that is. One of my middle chicks is beginning to seem a little bossy, is that a sign?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Not necessarily. My bossiest birds are my girls. Usually my boys are the sweetest, friendliest chicks in the bunch (and they always end up being my favorites). What you'll really be looking for are pointy saddle and hackle feathers and bigger, redder combs and wattles. Good luck!

3. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Could be. But girls can be bossy too!
    I think you should wait a bit before you try to determine which are possible roos.

4. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Here is a chick that feather sexed pullet but has a rooo tude [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. joymac

joymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2011
    Southeastern NC
    Thanks for the input! I know I'm looking too early for the roo characteristics but since I'm in a town that doesn't allow any it's got me wondering and looking. My very sweetest chick is a beautiful blue Maran, very curious and VERY pretty and I do hope it's a she but time will tell!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by