rooster babies.. early signs? lol

Charrisse

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Nashville, Indiana
My little girls and maybe a guy or two are 15 days old now. I'm wondering what are some early signs of rooster-Dom. Lol! I think I have a few roos, or possibly just some butch females :) lol

Well usually roosters are the cry babies of the flock when they are chicks, I noticed our roosters have lighter eyes than the hens (if they are the same breed) So yep look for those.

Now I'm scared! When we got our chicks, last week, my daughter told me that one of the Australorps looked like it had blue eyes. I didn't think much of it until yesterday when that same one rushed the side of the brooder and stared my Jack Russell dead in the face!

We ended up with 2 roos last year(got them straight run from a local breeder), and this one walks with a strut, and it's head is always up and looking around, just like the first 2 boys. These babies came from MPC and were supposed to be pullets, but I'm aware that it's only a 90% accuracy rate. If it's the only roo, I may try to keep it, but I'm hoping it's just a dominant hen. I guess only time will tell.

Last summer I ordered 10 female RIR chicks and 1 male RIR chick. When they came in I received a total of 13 chicks. They sent 2 extra chicks and I'm sure they wanted to make sure I got what I ordered. At about 2 weeks old when they had started to feather out I picked out two that I thought were roosters and sure enough I was right. The little roosters tail feathers were a bit longer and stood more upright than the hens did. Maybe it was just a lucky guess but it seemed to work that way with this bunch of chicks.

My experience is that sometimes the Roosters are friendlier as young chicks. We had a White Leghorn chick a couple of years ago that was the friendliest bird of the about 20 that were in the brooder. Turned out to be a rooster.

Back
Top Bottom