Rooster Bachelor Pad?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chikenlady, Jun 19, 2008.

1. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Hi all,

I have two sets of chickens that I hatched. One set is 10 weeks old (14 chicks) and one is about 6 weeks old (7 chicks). So far I think I have 5 roosters from the first set and 3 in the second set.

My question is...Can I keep some of these boys together in a bachelor pad coop? I was planning to keep 6 roosters seperated from the main flock. Will they fight if they are different ages and breeds? The breeds are BB Plymouth Rocks and Cochins.

I am asking all of you to give me your opinions on keeping roos of differnent breeds and ages together. Thanks!!

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You can try and put them together now but if they fight and dont get along now they never will. Usually if they are raised together they would be ok. I have had more than one at a time and it was great but they were raised together.

Try it just watch closely and when you put them together so they dont kill each other or injury eachother or make eachother bleed.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    There are lots of threads on introducing chickens to each other, plus a lot online. Try google on how to mix the flocks. The gist of it is to introduce them through adjacent pens for a couple of weeks, then start to mix them slowly over time.

4. chikenlady

chikenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Cantonment, FL
    Thank you for replying! I will try to integrate them and also do a bit more research. [​IMG]

5. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i dont seperate my chickens unless they have chicks, and sometimes the roo's "if they are in a all boys coop" will pick the weekest roo and mate him to death.

6. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    I have 3 Roos in a pen together. I had to take a 4th one out because he was treated like a hen. He was picked on constantly. It is more time consuming to keep seperate pens but these are Split/Lav silkie Roos and I am not ready tp part with any of them yet. As said above, keep a close watch so noone gets hurt. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by