Rooster Bachelor Pads (and Breeders Pen?)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SweetMissDaisy, May 2, 2009.

1. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi!
    I've been through all of the galleries and looked at all of the small coops and tractors.... But I want to see MORE small housing areas for a single roo that could also be used as a short term breeding pen.

Share pics! [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'll have to go out and get some pics today.

At present I have my juvies in there.

3. SweetMissDaisy

Please do! Thanks! I have several fellas I want to build individual pens for and I'd love to see what others are doing. [​IMG]

4. SweetMissDaisy

Anyone have pics to share?

5. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    I heard if you have a pen that has a low enough roof that they can't crow, is this true?

6. SweetMissDaisy

hmm... i can't imagine. Ours crow regardless of where they are -- even in small kennels when they're being treated in the chicken "ICU".

7. coffeelady3

coffeelady3 Froths Milk for Hard Cash

Jun 26, 2008
    Tacoma, WA
    I have my 2 girls in a converted dog house with a small attached run. It would work well as a bachelor pad.

[​IMG]

8. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not sure if this was the information you wanted volunteered here but I feel compelled to say the following:

My "alternate" roosters are VERY unhappy without some gals.
    I will no longer be keeping ANY roosters alone. Its true they appear less unhappy if they aren't able to catch a glimpse of a girl but a healthy er, um, personal life is also good for their health. So my alternate roosters will room with any extra hens, mixed breeds or whomever I'm not really using for a breeding program to keep them company.

Therefore we are hashing out a "mini coop" for 2-4 large fowl that can be moved around with its own fenced in yard, and will be converting the single rooster coops or perhaps reconsider that to be an isolation box instead.

For ME.. that means I will have the following
    4 mini coops with small yards
    plus my 4 main coops, all setup for breeding, who alternate ranging in the main yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by