Rooster barely breathing laying on floor!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickensInAK, Nov 5, 2010.

1. ChickensInAK

ChickensInAK Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Please help. I went out to the coup this morning and found my lovely 5 month old rooster laying on the floor and he is breathing very heavy. He does not look like he is going to make it, but I have no idea what could have happened! All was fine when I checked on them last night. He is with 12 hens and they are all perfectly fine. I live in AK and it is getting cold outside about 14 degrees right now, but 45 in the coup. I can't think of anything unusual he might have eaten. Any ideas?!

2. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    It could have been a number of things. It sounds like he is past the point of no return. The best thing to do is take him to a vet to get help on the cause of death.

3. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Goodness, I'm so very sorry and I have no idea what could be wrong with your rooster.

4. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    Not enough info. But you can take him to the vet for a necropsy if your sure he wont make it. Could have been Chill. typically chicks get chilled but some Adults are capable of it as well. Necropsy is free.

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Update please. Did you take him to a vet? Is he okay now?

6. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    If you are feeding MannaPro. please let us know.
    Quite a few people here in Alaska that are feeding MannaPro are having there flocks wiped out.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] So sad - poor fellow. Hoping that somehow he is okay and that you were able to get him to the vet. One day my roo was like that and I realized he had jumped off his perch in a way that rendered him upside down and unable to right himself. He was literally gasping for air. I cradled him in my arms (right side up) expecting that he was about to die, telling him I loved him and that he was a wonderful boy. My heart was broken. A short while later he was fine and is still fine many months later...
    Your roo though - could be so many things, including dire things - his heart, an inadvertent poisoning, an obstruction in his breathing passage...[​IMG] JJ

8. ChickensInAK

ChickensInAK Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Well the poor guy didn't make it. He went for a while breathing hard and pretty much comatose. Then right before he died he started having, what seemed to be, seizures and flailing around on my garage floor. It was very odd and he even looked dizzy. I am feeding Nutrina and they get a little bit of scratch now and then and also table scraps...nothing out of the ordinary. Thankfully all of the hens are still fine. However, I didn't raise him from a chick and just got him the beginning of September, so I don't know if what happened to him had anything to do with his previous owner. We miss him though, he was a very nice rooster to the hens and to my little kids!

9. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Awful ending for the poor guy. So sorry to hear this. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by