Rooster beat up badly. One graphic photo

flwrldy

Songster
6 Years
Apr 20, 2017
NH
My Coop
My Coop
Heads up graphic photo of his sore head..
I have two roosters one is a Easter Egger named Rocky who is just a regular old rooster.. he’s pretty laid-back and even will cuddle his head in my neck...and my other one is Popover, a White crested black Polish. He’s a little guy with wrey tail. He’s also very sweet.. All my birds are 6 months old.. I have 14 hens, the 2 Roosters and 2 ducks.. Both Roosters have been crowing for months now. The problem is Popover, poor little guy has always been picked on by the hens. I guess he’s low man on the totem pole because the hens always beaten him up. I’ve never seen Rocky attack him. The hens always pull all the feathers out of the top of his head. The past few weeks though he was healing up nicely and all his feathers on his head were growing back in. He even made it to the top roostering bar at night. Then 2 nights ago at some point they beat him up really bad. When I put them to bed everybody was fine, but the next morning poor pop over wasn’t acting right.. I went over and looked at him and all his feathers on his head were plucked out worse then they’ve ever been, and his head was red inflamed and bleeding. They also attacked his tail, he was bleeding at the base of his back. He also is limping. So I separated him from the flock. Yesterday he was very lethargic and barely ate.. I put antibiotics on his head and cleaned his wounds. I also gave him a probiotic. Today he’s doing much better. Still not back to normal yet, although he did crow again tonight..I don’t know why they’re so mean to him but the other odd thing is, that he has never tried to mate with the hens, only Rocky does. I don’t know what to do with him. We want to keep him as even a pet at this point, but are worried if this will keep happening. I’m afraid they’ll kill him. Anyone ever have this problem?

Attachments

• A527BCC1-14B2-476C-B187-D643A27E16F9.jpeg
    A527BCC1-14B2-476C-B187-D643A27E16F9.jpeg
    446.8 KB · Views: 196
Is he your only polish? Do you have any other silkies or "odd" birds?

If not I believe he's almost certainly getting beaten up for being different. Not only is he a second cockeral and they've just matured so hormones are high but he's also the odd man out in the flock.

Chickens can be very prejudiced. Sometimes they will pluck beards if there is only one or two bearded birds or crests or feet and legs feathers.

For his safety he absolutely has to be separated from them at least until he's healed. I would consider getting a few more oddballs or rehoming him. Maybe give him his own coop and flock. You may not know but crested breeds can have problems in that their skulls never fully close bc of the crest. I believe it's a side effect of the gene. Anyway if that happens a sharp peck can literally hit the brain and kill them. This is seen in polish sultans and silkies I believe some crested cream legbars can also be effected and possibly other crested breeds too.

Poor boy. It's sad but it could have been much much worse. I would suggest getting blukote from your local feed store and spraying or dabbing it on. Be careful it must not get in his eyes or face and he will almost certainly shake it everywhere. The do sell both sprays and daubers. We like both and try to keep them on hand.

Blu kote diguises the red to deter pecking and dries and disinfects injuries.

It is not uncommon for hens to bully young roosters. It usually stops when the rooster matures. I think you are doing the right things to care for his wounds.

Chickens are very resilient. We got our rooster Max from a friend who had too many roosters and Max was low man on the totem pole and always getting beaten up. When my husband brought him home his head was completely bald and scabby, his eyes were swollen shut and he was lethargic. I really didn't think he would make it but was determined to try. I basically did the same things you are doing and he recovered fine although it did take a while. When I put him with the hens they picked on him for a while but he learned to keep out of their way. Today he is a beautiful boy, great protector, and sweet as can be.

My second rooster Loco Larry broke his leg when he was five months old. I was going to put him down, but he got up under the house and I could not get him out so I just put food and water as close as I could get it to him and he managed to drag himself to it. When he finally came out he was limping badly, but otherwise seemed okay and today you would never know he was hurt. I do have to keep the two roosters separated because they will fight to the death if I don't, but we have the room and they each have their own flock and free range in different areas.

If you have the space I would probably try keeping them separated with each rooster having a few hens and put the hens who are at the bottom of the pecking order with Popover. If you don't have the room I would leave them together once he heals up but make sure there are plenty of hiding places where Popover can get away from the hens and I would spray Blue Kote on any wounds that he gets to keep the hens from pecking at them. Good luck. I know it is frustrating.

Thank you ! You gave me great information. For now he’s separated, but I’m not going to put him back. My daughter has bantams, with fur all over their feet. I wonder if they’d except him. Yes he is my only Polish.. he was an extra from Murray McMurray hatchery

Is he your only polish? Do you have any other silkies or "odd" birds?

If not I believe he's almost certainly getting beaten up for being different. Not only is he a second cockeral and they've just matured so hormones are high but he's also the odd man out in the flock.

Chickens can be very prejudiced. Sometimes they will pluck beards if there is only one or two bearded birds or crests or feet and legs feathers.

For his safety he absolutely has to be separated from them at least until he's healed. I would consider getting a few more oddballs or rehoming him. Maybe give him his own coop and flock. You may not know but crested breeds can have problems in that their skulls never fully close bc of the crest. I believe it's a side effect of the gene. Anyway if that happens a sharp peck can literally hit the brain and kill them. This is seen in polish sultans and silkies I believe some crested cream legbars can also be effected and possibly other crested breeds too.

Poor boy. It's sad but it could have been much much worse. I would suggest getting blukote from your local feed store and spraying or dabbing it on. Be careful it must not get in his eyes or face and he will almost certainly shake it everywhere. The do sell both sprays and daubers. We like both and try to keep them on hand.

Blu kote diguises the red to deter pecking and dries and disinfects injuries.
Thank you. That’s great information. .Yes , He’s our only polish and different one. Murray McMurry sent him as an extra.
It is not uncommon for hens to bully young roosters. It usually stops when the rooster matures. I think you are doing the right things to care for his wounds.

Chickens are very resilient. We got our rooster Max from a friend who had too many roosters and Max was low man on the totem pole and always getting beaten up. When my husband brought him home his head was completely bald and scabby, his eyes were swollen shut and he was lethargic. I really didn't think he would make it but was determined to try. I basically did the same things you are doing and he recovered fine although it did take a while. When I put him with the hens they picked on him for a while but he learned to keep out of their way. Today he is a beautiful boy, great protector, and sweet as can be.

My second rooster Loco Larry broke his leg when he was five months old. I was going to put him down, but he got up under the house and I could not get him out so I just put food and water as close as I could get it to him and he managed to drag himself to it. When he finally came out he was limping badly, but otherwise seemed okay and today you would never know he was hurt. I do have to keep the two roosters separated because they will fight to the death if I don't, but we have the room and they each have their own flock and free range in different areas.

If you have the space I would probably try keeping them separated with each rooster having a few hens and put the hens who are at the bottom of the pecking order with Popover. If you don't have the room I would leave them together once he heals up but make sure there are plenty of hiding places where Popover can get away from the hens and I would spray Blue Kote on any wounds that he gets to keep the hens from pecking at them. Good luck. I know it is frustrating.

Glad I could help. Are they normal feathers on the feet or does your daughter have silkies? They could be great matches for him but if she has a small flock and already has a roo it could be a problem. Also as his hormones increase he could be too rough in trying to breed and dominate the ladies if they aren't mature hens to keep him in his place. For this reason many people separate cockerals as they mature. He may also be a perfect gentleman time will tell.

Oh wow.. So glad both your Roos made it. That’s great! They’re really resilient.
Thank you for the feedback. We have to do something. I’m also going to get that blue coat stuff.
Thank you ! You gave me great information. For now he’s separated, but I’m not going to put him back. My daughter has bantams, with fur all over their feet. I wonder if they’d except him. Yes he is my only Polish.. he was an extra from Murray McMurray hatchery

Thank you. That’s great information. .Yes , He’s our only polish and different one. Murray McMurry sent him as an extra.

Thank you! No she has over 40 hens. She did have to many Roosters and so some graduated to freezer camp. I think their bantams, because they’re a little larger then my polish. He’s never tried to mate. He also has wrey tail, so I don’t want him to fertilize any eggs. I was told if he produces a hen, she could have issues laying and kill her.
Glad I could help. Are they normal feathers on the feet or does your daughter have silkies? They could be great matches for him but if she has a small flock and already has a roo it could be a problem. Also as his hormones increase he could be too rough in trying to breed and dominate the ladies if they aren't mature hens to keep him in his place. For this reason many people separate cockerals as they mature. He may also be a perfect gentleman time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom