Rooster beat up by other rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by my chickens, Sep 11, 2012.

1. my chickens

my chickens New Egg

Jul 20, 2012
    N. Cal., U.S.A.
    Hi all, i have 2 roosters that have gotten along fine in till today. so the looser got beat really bad, lots of feathers gone, blood around face and comb, some bear skin and some small tears. he is not moving at all but is breathing and some times would open a eye and look at me. covered him cause he started shivering, he warmed up and stopped shaking and he isnt panting any more, seams like more normal breathing. its been about 6 hours now, he will move his feet alittle when i touch them but he hasnt opened his eyes in a couple of hours, still breathing. how long will he be in shock and how much should we handle him? (to clean and give water). is there something else we should be doing for him?
    Thanks for your help
    ken and KFC (kool funny chicken)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Keep the rooster in a quiet dark place, and handle him minimally. You may want to apply some Neosporin (without anti pain med.) to the lacerations on his head. Make sure that flies do not lay eggs in the wounds. Roosters generally recover from these altercations in a matter of days. The bigger problem is that they will most likely no longer remain in the same flock wihout repeated fighting.

3. my chickens

my chickens New Egg

Jul 20, 2012
    N. Cal., U.S.A.
    thank you for your reply and your help.
    KFC passed about 45 min ago.
    thanks, ken
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by