1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster beat up, head bloody, swollen...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by drowningcreek, Jul 20, 2011.

1. drowningcreek

drowningcreek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    North Georgia
    Two of our juvenile roos, well apparently one beat the crap out of another this morning. The injured party is a Polish and his head is bloody and swollen as indicated in the title. Yes, they should have been separated already, but we're still getting pens finished and will have them all separated tomorrow.... right now I just need to know if there is anything I need to do beyond what I've done already which is:

1. I have the injured roo in the A/C at the house as he appeared heat-exhausted

2. I've cleaned up his head and put Neosporin on it

3. there is water with vitamins and electrolytes in the cage, though he still seems to be traumatized and isn't drinking yet. I tried an eye-dropper to no avail

4. I have a pack of antibiotics to mix and give him when I can get him to drink

5. I brought the other smaller submissive Polish roo to be his cage companion as I am worried he might get it next. These 2 do not compete, so I am not concerned that they will have any issues between them. In fact, they both seem relieved.

6. I've already had my nervous breakdown now that I have gotten them settled in.

Is there anything else I could do for the swelling? Or anything else? Any advice certainly appreciated in advance....

Judy

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like you've done a great job! Breathe, have some tea and just let the boyz rest in the A/C with you. Over the next few days just keep the wound clean but don't disturb it too much. They heal quickly. It's great that you'll be able to keep them separated. Roos will be roos. [​IMG]

3. drowningcreek

drowningcreek Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    North Georgia
    Thanks, ReikiStar..... I'm calm now and they appear to be as well, though we're all a little unnerved. Roos will be roos, but some roos are gonna be stews if they keep this up.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by