1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster becoming aggressive

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kacappi, Feb 7, 2016.

1. kacappi

kacappi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    Mississippi
    My rir rooster who is just under one is starting to become aggressive towards me when i enter the coop to feed them and bring them treats. I have 8 hens with him and they all get along fine. But he has jumped up and kicked me 3 times now...whats goin on???[​IMG]

2. ReluctantRural

ReluctantRural New Egg

Oct 18, 2015
    Prattville, AL
    If my rooster is out of the coop and I'm taking water to the coop, he jumps on me, but only when my back is turned. Interested to see what you find out here.

3. lozerface79

lozerface79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Alaska
    Now i dont know a lot about roosters but try this:
    When ever he starts puffing up, you do the same and look him in the eyes. And he might back off.
    Another thing might be squirting him with a water gun or squirt bottle when he charges.
    I dont know a hole lot but i hope this helps

4. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    Slap his head off, kick him in the chest. No one needs an attack rooster.

Or respect his has authoraaataaay!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If he were mine, he'd be in the stewpot. Especially if there are young kids on the place. You don't need to deal with an aggressive rooster.

Of course, you are the only one who can decide how much you're ready to put up with.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  6. BBQJOE

BBQJOE Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Void where prohibited.
    I wouldn't put up with it.

7. lozerface79

lozerface79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Alaska
    But youre not op

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    True. The thing about training a rooster not to attack you is, YOU are the one he has been trained not to attack. That doesn't mean he'll leave every human alone. I wouldn't take the chance, but again - it's the OP's decision as to what they want to deal with. I personally enjoy my chickens, and if I have one that is taking away my joy by attacking me, that one goes away to live in the freezer or a jar in the pantry. I don't wish to spend my time doing chicken chores, looking over my shoulder waiting to be attacked.

9. kacappi

kacappi Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2015
    Mississippi
    I appreciate the ideas...we have talked about cooking him but hes such a beautiful rooster and i like that hes protective of the flock but no i wont put up with this i was hoping there was something i could do to stop it. Ive always been able to go in and sit down to feed them all treats and walk around and give them all some attention...just confused as to why he has started this. And no there are no kids around.

10. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    This is by far more likely to get much more violent than get better. Try again with another rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by