Rooster becoming more unsocialized!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenrookie16, Jun 25, 2010.

1. chickenrookie16

chickenrookie16 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    i got a pair of chickens one male one female, i had them for more than a month now and the female is okay to handle and will eat out of your hand but the
    male runs away n jumps everywhere like it never been handled before and most of the time wont let you touch him, when i first got it was okay but now he is getting more wild acting..
    any advice plz...thanks

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I say try to keep him acting like that! Babying a rooster when they're young never turns out well (there are exceptions, I'm sure, but they've never lived at my place) because they have no respect for you. They believe they're the top roo and will challenge and attack people to keep their top place. If they grow up a little afraid of you, they recognize you're the top roo, they keep that respect and will not challenge you later.

Baby the hen to your heart's content, love her and snuggle her and spoil her rotten, but I'd ignore him and push him away.

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I agree with Southernbelle. You don't want a roo who isn't very cautious of you.

4. chickenrookie16

chickenrookie16 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2010
    can i do something like hold him more or wash him?
    to get him more use to handle...i only got two chickens right now

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Read and listen to what Southernbelle said. Tame roosters very frequently become human aggressive.

6. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    I have a rooster that is around 5 months old. He is lovely and friendly. I purchased him from a childrens petting farm when he was around 5 weeks thinking he was a she.

As soon as I open the feed bin in the morning he jumps in it and helps me feed every one. He could not care less if i pick him up and is happy to let me pat him.

Does this mean he thinks I am the boss and may challenge me in the future?? He is already 5 months and I do have a bigger roo that is the boss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by