Rooster behaving very strangely

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by PigeonLady, Dec 18, 2012.

1. PigeonLady

PigeonLady Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    Lehighton, PA
    When I got home today I went out to the chicken pen. One of my Silkie roosters was in the corner of the yard, covered with mud. He was repetitively rubbing his face in the mud. I thought he must be injured, so I took him inside and washed him off. No wounds, eyes seem OK, nothing visible caught in the throat, nothing seems wrong at all. I have him inside in a small cage with a towel covering the wire floor, and he continues to rub his face against the towel. Every once in a while he utters a weird cry, not like anything I have heard before.

None of my other chickens appear ill or are behaving strangely. I have not introduced any new birds for 4 months at least, nor have I visited any other flocks. This bird is about 6 months old.
    The bird has calmed down some, and appears to be sleeping in this weird position with his butt sticking up in the air and his head down and tucked under himself.
    Can anybody shed any light on this?? Please.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Is there a possibility that something might be caught in his mouth/throat?

3. PigeonLady

Jan 3, 2009
    Lehighton, PA
    I opened his mouth and checked for that. I could not see anything in there. I also felt all along his neck looking for something possibly stuck, but did not detect anything. Thanks for the suggestion though!

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do a search on wryneck. Several on site threads - it happens in silkies.

5. PigeonLady

Jan 3, 2009
    Lehighton, PA
    Got it - thanks for pointing me there. Seems like that's what it is. Is there any consensus on the treatment that you know of? There are so many different ideas on there. I did give him some water with vitamins.

6. PigeonLady

Jan 3, 2009
    Lehighton, PA
    OK, did some more reading and I think I'm all set - thanks.

7. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It appears that vitamins have worked for some if that is the causative factory. Injury - time and luck for a full recovery. Genetic - not the best prognosis. Good luck. Update in a couple of days with your success.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  8. PigeonLady

Jan 3, 2009
    Lehighton, PA
    Update... after a couple of days of vitamins, force-feeding, and force-watering... he is about the same. He is pooping and his crop is emptying, so that's good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by