Rooster Behavior Crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by m_shuman, Jul 22, 2011.

1. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    I have 2 roosters in my flock of 9 chickens and I need to get rid of 1. I am trying to decide who to keep. One crows non stop all day long from 5 AM until he goes to sleep. I think he is the more dominate roo even though he is smaller and the other roo is pretty quiet. Crows a couple of times in the morning and that is about it. If I get rid of the loud dominate roo will my quiet roo start crowing nonstop too or will he keep his laidback quiet behavior? I really want to get rid of the loudmouth but if the other one gets loud too I will have to rehome him as well. I like to hear roos but geez not all day long every minute of the day.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Some crow all day but most don't. With the other gone, your quiet guy may crow some more but I don't think he'll do it all day.

3. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    My two roosters tend to be the same as yours.

Our dominate roo crows a lot and the submissive one hardly ever.

I do notice that the dominate roo crows SO MUCH MORE when he is locked in the coop/run vs. when I give him free range in the yard.

I mean he crows a little as soon as I let him into the yard but after a half hour or so he is pretty quiet for hours.

4. MadHatcher

MadHatcher Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2010
    On a side note.

If I take the dominate roo inside my submissive roo starts up a crowing storm!!

I don't know if it is because he misses him or if he is happy to be king - but it is a really dramatic change.

5. Maxie Misty Chicks

Maxie Misty Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    I also have some rooster that need rehoming. I live in the north Houston area. I have 7 or 8 RIR A big and beautiful Austrolorp and one white rock. I have processed some before, but I would rather not. Thanks for any help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by