Rooster behavior has me puzzled

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SweetSesame, Sep 1, 2016.

1. SweetSesame

SweetSesame Just Hatched

Sep 1, 2016
    I have a 10 month old easter egger rooster who keeps doing something very odd. He will seek out an enclosed space (such as an overturned plant pot or old cardboard box), and make soft, high pitched screeching noises. All our hens will then surround him in concern/curiosity. He does this at least once a day. He has an otherwise clean bill of health.

I have never heard of a rooster doing this, and I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. He is not hurting anyone, I am just puzzled and confused.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It may be that he is finding suitable nests for his girls. I have seen one of my roos getting in the nest boxes and encouraging the girls to come and see (the fact that they were already laying there seemed to have eluded him [​IMG])

3. Dmontgomery

Dmontgomery Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Apr 1, 2014
    Longville, La
    I have had a rooster do that also. I agree with CTKen. I feel he is just trying to help out his ladies and encourage the egg laying process. My rooster would also stand in front of the nesting boxes and softly sing to his hens while they sat. Lord he was a good rooster, I miss him.

4. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    Agree with others. He is trying to impress them with the wonderful places he has found for them to lay.

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California

That is absolutely precious! Bless him. So sorry for your loss!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by