Rooster behavior...normal or not?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nuttyredhead, Jul 8, 2010.

1. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    My rooster Scooby has been grabbing the ladies by their necks. The poor girls sound like they are being killed! Is this normal? Also, I see that alot of people seperate the roo from the hens, should i be doing this? What purpose does this serve?

Thanks!

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

This is normal mating behavior. They hold on by the neck when mounting a hen. The only reasons to separate roos from hens is either to keep them from breeding, to give the hen a break , or broody hen. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. nuttyredhead

nuttyredhead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Southern NH
    Quote:So young? They are only 12 weeks old!

4. crazyegg

crazyegg Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    The Volunteer State
    Yeah, it's normal behavior. He's just starting to figure things out. Once he knows what he's doing, he probably won't be so rough and the girls probably won't object so much. Just give him time. [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Somebody on here mentioned considering it months like people years; your roo is now 12. Adolescent. Horny. A boy with hormones making him crazy.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He's ready, they are not. In time it will get better. He needs to grab their necks to keep his balance. When the girls are closer to POL, they will learn how to submit and it will be easier on them.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Agree with the other posters. He's a normal teenager sans the pimples.
    Once the hens and the roos are all on the same page it can happen right behind you and you'll be none the wiser. Chicken matings take five seconds (literally).
    I am very much against seperating roos simply because they like to mate. How can a roo protect his girls, provide for his girls and be part of the family with his girls if he doesn't live with his girls?
    Saddles work for me, but I actually only have one hen that needs one.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by