Rooster behavior normal???

SuburbanChickFarmer

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
I have a Light Brahma rooster, 15 weeks old. As of this past week, he has gotten agressive to the hens by grabbing them on the back of the neck and holding on while they scream bloody murder! I shoo him off when I am outside and don't know if he is doing this while I am at work, or just when he's in my presence. I have 10 hens and 2 roos. He is not aggressive at all to the other roo, who so far hasn't even tried to crow. I'm not sure the Brahma even knows he's a rooster! When the rooster does this, I pick him up and hold him and tell him how bad he is and pet him until he calms down. As far as I can see, the girls aren't doing anything to provoke this behavior, all of a sudden he will fluff up his neck feathers and take off after a group of them and then will single one out and bite her! Am I doing the right thing by picking him up? He hasn't shown any aggression at all towards me or my daughter, who is 12. Help, is this normal???

he "practicing" for mating, and soon wont be practicing any more, but the "program" is the same.
so your actually telling him he's bad for trying to mate.
if you dont want roo's to jump on ya hens back and hold em down, then you'll need to separate ALL your roo's from ya hens.

Very normal roo behavior. Your hens are probably starting to get ready to lay.

The roo not doing anything probably waits until the alpha roo isn't looking, so you have to really watch to see him grab a hen.

The boys will do this all day long, if they get the chance. But I think the roos get special thrill out of doing this when you have lots of company that consists of new acquaintances or the new pastor and her hubby stop by to introduce themselves.
tongue.png

edited for spelling....

Last edited:
Totally normal rooster behavior as the others said. Chicken mating is pretty noisy but over quickly. My younger daughter thought the rooster was trying to kill the hens but I explained they mated like that.
Michele

My guy will probably start this soon (he's 16 weeks now). Question.....do the hens ever try to stand up to the rooster if they've have enough? For instance, if the rooster has been doing his thing for an hour or two, will the hen resist?

As stated, this is normal Rooster behavior for mating. That's why some hens end up with no back feathers and people use saddles to protect their hens' backs. Some Roos can be quite vicious.

This morning I saw my 4 month old Silkie Roo grab a girl and practice. She wasn't having any of it and screamed bloody murder and shook him off and then chased him around the chicken coop! Hope he isn't scarred for life...
gig.gif

Quote:
Ha ha! How true! My roos save their finest performances for when I have folks from town visiting with their young children. Oh how they love answering all those questions all the way back home...

Back
Top Bottom