Rooster behavior. overly spoiled pets?

neophyte17

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2013
Florida
perhaps someone can explain behavior of my two roosters. I believe they are red sex link. they are the only two roosters I have no . . . hens. I hand raised them. they have free range most of the day before i go to work then i put them in a coop. the sleep inside the house in their own room at night

sorry I hit submit before I was ready. basically the following me everywhere the won't roam the yard if I don't walk with them. If i go inside they sit on a bench by the window and crow until i come back out. If i sit down anywhere outside they immediately both jump on my lap and stay there til i get up. One of them knows his name and always comes when i call him . He will also look up at me if i just stand there and say his name. As if he is listening to what I have to say. if I go inside to watch TV and bring them in with me they will sit on the sofa through the whole movie. they act more like dogs than chickens.

Although its endearing, i can't get anything done or go anywhere cause they go nuts and crow non stop if i am not with them. I would like them to br more independent. At least roam around my yard which is almost an acre. Its a large space for being in the city and they won't take advantage of it cause they are stuck to my side. Is it too late to break their odd behavior?

Although its endearing, i can't get anything done or go anywhere cause they go nuts and crow non stop if i am not with them. I would like them to br more independent. At least roam around my yard which is almost an acre. Its a large space for being in the city and they won't take advantage of it cause they are stuck to my side. Is it too late to break their odd behavior?
Pigpen behaves the same way.... We hand raised him from a chick. We got him a hen, Lucy, a few months back and she seems to keep him somewhat occupied but when she's in her nest box laying her egg and at night (when he's supposed to be sleeping) he will crow (cry) until we bring him in the house. He's a big spoiled rotten rooster who thinks he's human lol I love him to death and he looks just like yours! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a chicken up their butt 24/7. Makes me feel a little more normal ;)

Last edited:
This might sound silly but, how about trying to lay food out in different areas of the yard to try to distract them, those little bits of food will keep them occupied. And as they eat, slowly walk away, dont leave but just stand there. Or would they keep looking up to see if youre there?

This might sound silly but, how about trying to lay food out in different areas of the yard to try to distract them, those little bits of food will keep them occupied. And as they eat, slowly walk away, dont leave but just stand there. Or would they keep looking up to see if youre there?

I tried putting water and food all the way out in the middle of the yard under a tree. When they seemed happily entertained eating and scratching the ground, I would try to walk away but when they noticed it they would run after me. I've tried to sneak away but if they can't find me they will go to the house, sit on the chair by the front window and crow

Pigpen behaves the same way.... We hand raised him from a chick. We got him a hen, Lucy, a few months back and she seems to keep him somewhat occupied but when she's in her nest box laying her egg and at night (when he's supposed to be sleeping) he will crow (cry) until we bring him in the house. He's a big spoiled rotten rooster who thinks he's human lol I love him to death and he looks just like yours! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has a chicken up their butt 24/7. Makes me feel a little more normal ;)

24/7 is right! When I am off from work they are by my side every minute. At night I bring them inside and they sit on the sofa while I watch TV for a while before I put them in their room to sleep. Yes, they have their own room inside the house

If you hand feed them treats they will never leave you alone, try only feeding them from a feeder in there coop or run. it sounds like to me you do a lot of hand feeding, throwing them stuff. keeping them inside at night makes them want in anytime they get scared, mine will run inside the coop anytime a big bird flys overhead

Last edited:
They are beautiful roosters. Im surprised they get along and stick together. One of my fears is when my 3 chicks get older they will not get along if there are two roosters. I dont know the sex of them yet being theyre 6 weeks old.

I hope you find a solution to your problem! Im sure it can be stressful at times. There are so many amazing knowledgeable people on this website, its nice to know we can come here for advice :)

If you hand feed them treats they will never leave you alone, try only feeding them from a feeder in there coop or run. it sounds like to me you do a lot of hand feeding, throwing them stuff. keeping them inside at night makes them want in anytime they get scared, mine will run inside the coop anytime a big bird flys overhead

I never hand fed them. I usually put their feed on the ground for them to scratch and peck at. I give them their food on a plate inside the coop when I leave for work. Their favorite treat (bugs and worms) they get on their own when they are out with me working on the garden. When I mow, they walk behind me. When i am trimming bushes or trimming ir picking weeds,they are right there following

Back
Top Bottom