Rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelbyw, Sep 17, 2015.

1. shelbyw

shelbyw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    So this evening I went to feed and I let my chickens out for them to roam and so I can lay some feed in the pen, but today was different. As I was throwing the feed in the pen, my rooster started attacking me! I don't know why and he has never done this before, but lucky for me I didn't get scraped up as bad on my legs and feet thanks to my boots. I had to herd him back in the pen with a lid because he wouldn't let me pick him up either. The hens let me pick them up like normal and they didn't seem bothered by my presence, but for some reason I have a feeling something ticked him off. If he doesn't again, he isn't going to live long because I can't deal with a rooster attacking me or anyone else. Please help me? I don't want to kill him but I will if I have too.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    How old is this bird?

3. Crooked House

Crooked House Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2014
    Our rooster hit the one year old mark and started doing the same thing. It's been mostly me but he's gotten both of my daughters (and left scars) when they were home for visits. He's going to freezer camp before winter.

4. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    He is 6 months

5. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I expected something around that age range -- this is *very* common at this point. Your cockerel has hit chicken puberty and his hormones are raging. All too often people are shocked at how their "sweet little cockerel" has become a raging monster seemingly overnight. You mentioned trying to pick him up - what has been your approach to handling him up to this point?

6. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    I was hoping my rooster wouldn't get aggressive, but I guess he did and he is not going to last much longer if he attacks me or anyone else again. It is weird behavior to me because he was always so gentle and didn't mind you being up there with him.

7. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    I pick him up and just walk around the yard with the chickens and he doesn't mind at all. When he was a chick, everyone including myself held him and the others. I even let some kids hold him and pet him and be around him for awhile. I tried to I guess you could call "socialize" him. I thought he hit "chicken puberty" a while back because I found some fertilized eggs. (I noticed the red dots in them) I was just kind of hoping in the back of my head that he would be like this but I guess it's just a rooster thing.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    This is the unfortunate irony of raising a cockerel - - as chicks they are often the most curious and bold about human interaction and, as a result, quickly become a favorite "pet" among all the chicks in the brooder. People tend to lavish LOTS of attention, cuddles, etc on them in the first 3-5 months of their lives - the unfortunate thing is, that this is often seen to have a very undesirable outcome once the bird hits the 5-6 month mark. Many people here who successfully maintain multiple cockerels/roos in their flock do so by respecting the rooster for what it is, the role he plays in the scheme of things and not falling into the 'baby" trap when they are little. There are tons of threads here on BYC with information on the different approaches folks use in raising and maintaining a good rooster - it might help to read some of them to pick up some tips that can help you either work through things with this bird or to have better luck if you start over with a new cock.

1 person likes this.
  9. Ol Grey Mare

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    @centrarchid is a member here that I would suggest you reading some posts by or talking with directly with regards to rooster handling.

10. shelbyw

Jul 1, 2015
    Monroe, Georgia
    Thanks for the info. I am still new to raising roosters, but I have had hens for a couple years now :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by