Rooster behavior ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sunnie7, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sunnie7

sunnie7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2016
    I'm new with having chickens and I started out with 4 chicks in October. I've rehomed 2 Roos and have add two pullets (awhile back). Last weekend I rehomed the 2nd roo and came home and for the first time ever my whole silkie (that I thought was a pullet) started crowing. The last roo I had to rehome because he suddenly became aggressive and started coming at me and was being too hard on one of the girls and pulling all her head feathers out when mating her. My white silkie has always been so sweet and the first to come up to me and eat out of my hand and let me hold. Now all the sudden he's doing the little side step thing towards me when I come around and now today when my 6 year old went to collect eggs as soon as she when in he pecked her legs 5times and made her bleed. I have 3 young kids that love helping me take care of the chickens. I can't have aggressive behavior. What should I do? Is it hormones that's causing all these sudden problems?

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    He's the rooster now. Likely he was kept in check by the previous roosters, and now that he's king of the castle he's trying to let everyone know it. I had the same issue when I first started keeping chickens. Dominate Leghorn rooster was rehomed and a Brahma all of a sudden stepped up and worked his way towards a dinner table...

3. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    When roosters are young, They are friendly like chickens. But as they get older, they become protective over the females and will attack anything in their path. Most roosters are aggressive, and some are not. My relatives have a friendly buff orpington rooster who loves to be held. It all depends on the breeder who bred them. When aggressive Roosters have chicks the chicks that are roosters will also become aggressive. But with a friendly rooster it works the other way around.
    Sorry, hope this helps!

4. sunnie7

sunnie7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2016
    So my best bet is going on and finding him a new home?

5. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    If you're unwilling to cull him, yes. There are posts around on rooster rehab and such (that I don't fully buy) if you wanted to look into, but with kids around, I would remove him one way or another.

6. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Yes, I think so.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If he's attacking your kids, yes. As stated previously, there are some good threads on rooster rehab, but if you have 3 little kids, I'd cull him. (That does not necessarily mean "kill". To "cull" simply means remove from the flock. How you do it is up to you.) If you find him a new home, I'd suggest you do so with full disclosure so someone else's child doesn't get attacked like yours did.

8. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Professional in training Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by