Rooster behavior

hugyourchicken

Songster
8 Years
Jul 17, 2015
Utah
I tried to post this with other rooster articles but couldn’t find them.

One day I went outside to collect eggs, our 7 Buff Orpington hens and one rooster were out pecking around as usual, the chicken coop is about 60 feet from our house, so; I’m walking and I hear this shwooosh, left side (I’m blind in my left eye because of glaucoma) so couldn’t see him coming, now I always talk to my chickens as I approach them, they usually come running to me first as they are very friendly, this time they were further away from me and Rodger rooster was caught off guard I guess 😱 and he ran after my feet (scared me to death)!!! He never behaved like this before. I know what this behavior is and why but this is so scary when you’re caught off guard, Rodger gave my hubby a deep scratch on his finger the next day as he tried to gather eggs. The last few days he’s been okay, I look at him a lot call his name and keep something in my hand for protection. I know I can’t let this keep happening, squirt bottle doesn’t work. We had to rehome a rooster a few years ago because of this.
Any suggestions or tips??

Attachments

• E2D076CC-3C31-408D-B17E-7E1B9C73D4AA.jpeg
    E2D076CC-3C31-408D-B17E-7E1B9C73D4AA.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 296
I would try spending more time out in the yard and hand feeding with something he really likes. Him also seeing you being friendly with the other chickens will also calm his nerves. Maybe theirs a predator or dog out running around that's been putting him on high alert. Most of the time chickens will give back the energy you give then so always approach him with love and gentleness. <3

Depends on his age, IMHO. If' he's still maturing, say, under 8-9 months or so, I'd give him some more time for the hormones to settle. So how old is he?
He is 7 months old, yes, will give him more time, it just scares the crap out of me, heard all the stories of serious attacks on humans. 😊 thank you

One day I went outside to collect eggs, our 7 Buff Orpington hens and one rooster were out pecking around as usual, the chicken coop is about 60 feet from our house, so; I’m walking and I hear this shwooosh, left side (I’m blind in my left eye because of glaucoma) so couldn’t see him coming, now I always talk to my chickens as I approach them, they usually come running to me first as they are very friendly, this time they were further away from me and Rodger rooster was caught off guard I guess 😱 and he ran after my feet (scared me to death)!!! He never behaved like this before. I know what this behavior is and why but this is so scary when you’re caught off guard, Rodger gave my hubby a deep scratch on his finger the next day as he tried to gather eggs. The last few days he’s been okay, I look at him a lot call his name and keep something in my hand for protection. I know I can’t let this keep happening, squirt bottle doesn’t work. We had to rehome a rooster a few years ago because of this.

With my experience roosters are big babies if you do decide to get rid of him I'd get a rooster as a chick and hand raise him and give him loves of cuddles so he'll see you more as family. Since he's still young I'd still try and work with him

Back
Top Bottom