Rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lfoose, Oct 19, 2007.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Yesterday I walked into our coop and didn't see our roo prancing around like he normally does. Then I saw his rear end sticking out of one of the nesting boxes. The rest of him was buried under the straw. When I asked him what he was doing in there, he hopped out. Later on, he went into another one rearranged the straw and making quite clucking sounds.

Is he trying to attract the hens into the nesting boxes or is he turning into a hen?![​IMG]

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    I've caught a few of my boys in the nest boxes, too! I suspect it is a curiosity thing as opposed to them turning into hens.

Dawn

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    My OEGB roo gets in the nestbox all the time.

I think he gets in there to inspect and make sure it is
    'just right' for the pullet.

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I agree with BantyChickmom. I have had my roos do the same thing. They will even do the "I layed an egg anouncement". They are just checking things out and maybe they think they are helping.[​IMG]

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    My roo, pimp daddy, does the craziest things, too. He will go up into the coop, then start making soft chucks, then he will make a squeeling sound like a pig. I don't know if he's trying to get the hens to come up, but they do. I just wish I knew what he's telling them. He is a great rooster, finding them food, keeping a lookout, and he's pretty gentle with them, too. Usually they just walk up and lay down for him. But the coop thing that he does is so funny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by